MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
kenny
Got Wood.

Default First cooking on new cooker

This past Friday my brother (Charlie) and I cooked on our new home built cooker. I wont go so as far to say it was a diaster, but it was close. We leared a lot about reverse flow cookers. Our new rig is a offset firebox, reverse flow. Our old cooker is a single pass offset firebox. We use to cook at temps in the 250-275 degree range. With the new cooker our ribs were done in 3 hours, (we usually go 5 hours) we had butts done in 8 hours, (normal cooking time is 12-16 hours). Any suggestions would be appreciated. With reverse flow cookers what are expected cooking temps and times. More pictures to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1986.jpg (65.4 KB, 118 views)

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you're sure that the temperature, at cooking grate level, was equal to your old cooker, then the difference could be the convection (increased air flow) of your reverse flow design. Just my .02.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

I would suggest double checking your temps at grate level where your food is. You say it was a disaster, why? Was the food not good? I would love for my ribs to be done in 3 hours! Every cooker cooks differently, the fun part is learning them.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I recently rebuilt my 5' offset as a reverse flow. Things definitely cook alot quicker. Ive noticed that trimmed spares take about 4.5-5 hours at 225-240 if i foil em for a while left unfoiled they take a little longer. I havent done any bigger cuts of meat in it lately cause im lazy and use my WSM for my briskets or butts. but this summer i will be doing some over nighters just to enjoy the weather. IT will take ya some time to get used to it. It also amazes me at the reduced amount of fuel i have to use. i used 10 lbs of RO lump and about 9-10 logs for a 6 hour cook. id used to burn double that amount.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
icemn62
Babbling Farker

this may be dumb, but what is reverse flow?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
this may be dumb, but what is reverse flow?
http://www.cookersandgrills.com/our_products.html

Click on the link that says, "What is a reverse-flow system."
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
kenny
Got Wood.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I believe the temp is the difference. The old smoker was much larger, with more wall area. The more wall area, the more heat loss? It wasnt that the Butts, chicken, and ribs were bad, it just surprised us how fast they cooked. Shouls have payed closer attention. We did notice also that we used much less wood, thats always a good thing.