MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #5026
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
So the punches in the Harbor Freight are all 1/16th over so would not work for my purpose. I guess I am back to the step bit for drilling the 1" hole for the 3/4 pipe nipples.
Missed your need, enlighten me and maybe I can suggest a method, got enough holes in my head I know a little about makin'em

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #5027
BadHorsieBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Missed your need, enlighten me and maybe I can suggest a method, got enough holes in my head I know a little about makin'em
I just wanted an easy full proof way to make the three 1" hole for the 3/4 pipe nipples (Intakes) in the UDS I am about to build.

If I used a punch I would need a 1" inch chassis punch Correct. Since they are sized in real dimensions
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #5028
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
I just wanted an easy full proof way to make the three 1" hole for the 3/4 pipe nipples (Intakes) in the UDS I am about to build.

If I used a punch I would need a 1" inch chassis punch Correct. Since they are sized in real dimensions
Correct. Like anything quality name brand are expensive. I prefer to use a hole saw myself. For those looking for unibits/stepdrills. Enco tools has a couple of sets on sale. I have a catolog at work and will post part numbers/links tonight. I have made lierally hundreds of holes using this hole saw and it will do more. Buy starret or milwakee. Sp?

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #5029
d0od
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Here is my first build, kept it basic. I smoked a 3-2-1 fattie in it last night after it had been seasoning for 6 hours, think the temp was a little high it was ok but a little overdone. Now I just need to get to Costco and get some ribs.

Still a little rust in the bottom, it is really cleaner than it looks (wire brushed to to bare metal), after I Pam'd the in side it made it look black and red, reflections I guess.

Made my handle out of a chunk of purple heart I had, did a rough dove tail, wish I would have made the handle run over the sides... next time. The lid came from another drum so the fit was not tight so I just clamped it.

Last edited by d0od; 02-10-2010 at 11:40 PM..
d0od is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #5030
Norcoredneck

Great job. Gonna make some fine grub.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #5031
Norcoredneck

Here is a worthy set
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Or a single
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #5032
ChiefOsceola

Looks good d0od! Cool handle idea...nice personal touch.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #5033
Marty
Found some matches.

I have cooked on my uds a couple of times. each time i got some water standing in the bottom of the drum.my smoke has a foul smell to it also using kingsford and some small chunks of hickory. smoke smells like burning paper.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #5034
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I have cooked on my uds a couple of times. each time i got some water standing in the bottom of the drum.my smoke has a foul smell to it also using kingsford and some small chunks of hickory. smoke smells like burning paper.
Are you controlling the temperature with the bottom inlets while leaving the top vents fully open. If so, do the top vents have more opening area than the bottom inlets?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #5035
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

What's it cost to sand blast a barrel? If it's not too much, might go that route on barrel #2.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #5036
Boshizzle

Call around and get some quotes. I'm going the sand blasting route, myself. I have found prices from $30.00 to $40.00 for sandblasting the inside and outside down to bare metal.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #5037
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Call around and get some quotes. I'm going the sand blasting route, myself. I have found prices from $30.00 to $40.00 for sandblasting the inside and outside down to bare metal.

i was just asking about this on the previous page. I am going to sanblast mine as well to bare metal. After i get it back from the sandblaster what should i do immediately to keep the barrel in good condition leading up to my very first smoke on a UDS.
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #5038
brotherbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
i was just asking about this on the previous page. I am going to sanblast mine as well to bare metal. After i get it back from the sandblaster what should i do immediately to keep the barrel in good condition leading up to my very first smoke on a UDS.
As an old sheet metal handler you have to do one of two things with raw bare steel or iron. You either have to paint it or oil it to keep it from rusting.

For a barrel, once you get to bare, paint it outside and grease or pam it well on the inside. You can heat it up later but it must have some kind of coating to keep it from rusting. It can stay unheated for a relatively long time with just a fat coating but eventually the fat will go rancid if not seasoned in, if that happens you just wash it out well with soap and water and rub id down again with the fat of your choice.

The science behind doing a seasoning burn is to carbonize the hydrocarbons in the fat to provide a tough almost non-stick layer baked onto the drum. The same way you would season a black iron skillet or Dutch oven.

The best seasoning is done in the 400 - 500 degree range but not much over or you too much of a burned smell and may flash fire the oil and not really get the desired effect. The pores in the metal are opened well up to accept the coating as it fills in the tiny little pockets that are created giving it something adhere well to.

Just my .02, hope it helps,

Smoke on!
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #5039
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep it next to your bed!!!

Just kidding......surface rust won't hurt any thing or you could spray it down with pam until your first time......

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #5040
Boshizzle

d0od: Looking good!

brotherdb: Great tips!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker