MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 AM   #16
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Do not use a crock pot. I used one last Sunday and had it on low. It ended up burning the meat. The last time I served the public, I used an electric roaster. It worked really well, I just kept adding apple juice to the roaster to keep the meat moist. The only drawback to this is that you lose some of the color of the smoke ring in the meat.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #17
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

steam table or trays. if you have a trailer try this with smaller tray inserts...

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?su...pID=020121AZ01
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #18
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq bubba View Post
thank god for the warming box on the lang.
amen!!!
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
QueTPiesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for all the input, you have given me a lot of great ideas.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Electric roasters is how we roll here in the Heartland, but it all depends on how long you need to keep it hot. For extended times, I would suggest a hot box then transfer to a warmer dealie like Mista suggested.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #21
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
We are hoping to one day buy one of those that runs on propane. We rent one once in a while and our rental guy laughs at us whenever we ask if we can buy it. Although, I have no clue where I would store it if I actually owned one of our very own. We also use apple juice or broth to keep the food moist in the steam tables. If the product sits in there too long we just toss it, but that rarely happens.
I have an 8 burner (2 propane tank) grill that I use. It holds 4 full hotel pans without a problem. Nice part is that if I only need 3 pans I can use the space for fresh grilled chicken & bugers. Only takes one burner per pan to keep the steam water hot.

Bought it at Sams for $400.00
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevoice View Post
Check out this link. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=203384.

22qt Roaster Oven by Rival, $39.72. And I believe it has a temp range down to 140 or so. This way you can keep food warm and not keep cooking it.

Frank Eriksen
Yep Frank, I bought 4 of them at Sam's club just prior to Thanksgiving, they work AWESOME and they look professional with the stainless steel. Good luck trying to find them now.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

There are plenty of ways to keep pulled pork warm. Not all of them are Health Dept approved if you are apt to get inspected. Crock pots are not legal--Rival home roasters are not legal. Chafing trays are legal if they are marked NSF. Steam tables are legal. Propane fired steam tables sometimes fail fire dept inspection if you are serving out of a tent.

I have seen broth, apple juice, water mixed with liquid smoke or other things added to pulled pork to keep it moist.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #24
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
There are plenty of ways to keep pulled pork warm. Not all of them are Health Dept approved if you are apt to get inspected. Crock pots are not legal--Rival home roasters are not legal. Chafing trays are legal if they are marked NSF. Steam tables are legal. Propane fired steam tables sometimes fail fire dept inspection if you are serving out of a tent.

I have seen broth, apple juice, water mixed with liquid smoke or other things added to pulled pork to keep it moist.
What he said. Therefore the link that holysmoke provided is the way to go. No crockpots or home roaster ovens. That is if you want to do it right.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #25
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

When we have vended at rodeo's and the like, we fire up the Spice for cooking and dial in the Backwoods for keeping the food warm. Can easily keep the backwoods at 140 degrees. Once the cooking is done on the Spice, we like to put the pulled pork in pans on teh spice to keep the smoke going.
Had to explain all of this to the HD when they inspected us the first time and they had no problems as long as we kept the food in the safe zones.
We cook our baked beans in roasters and have not been inspected during their use, will have to find out if those are ok around here.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #26
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I believe these are pretty reasonable in price: http://www.equippers.com/shop/produc...d=60&scid=6022

I have purchased my chafers from them. No problems.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ View Post
I believe these are pretty reasonable in price: http://www.equippers.com/shop/produc...d=60&scid=6022

I have purchased my chafers from them. No problems.
Yep, we use those too. I love them!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #28
hoverlover
Found some matches.

I've purchased a holding cabinet to keep all of the meat warm. I'm not up and running yet with my vending operation (very soon!) so I haven't tested it on pulled pork, but I have with brisket and ribs and it worked awesome. I assume pulled pork should work just fine as well.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #29
browe
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverlover View Post
I've purchased a holding cabinet to keep all of the meat warm. I'm not up and running yet with my vending operation (very soon!) so I haven't tested it on pulled pork, but I have with brisket and ribs and it worked awesome. I assume pulled pork should work just fine as well.
Which holding cabinet do you have? I am able to successfully hold pulled pork in my cambro's but not so much with my ribs.
browe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #30
hoverlover
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browe View Post
Which holding cabinet do you have? I am able to successfully hold pulled pork in my cambro's but not so much with my ribs.
Here is the one I have:

http://www.instawares.com/c5-3-serie...39hdsu.0.7.htm