MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Ronald cage
Got rid of the matchlight.

The Backwoods Party, is a great smoker. the only thing I found to be problem was not trusting it!

I start by lighting about 12 briquettes in my chimney. I let them get ashed and pour them into the right front corner. I fill the fire tray with unlit briquttes and put it in the smoker, close the fire door and start the Guru! The left vent is completely closed as my guru is attached to the right vent. It takes almost an hour or so to get to 250 degrees. After it hit tempature it is very stable. I have used many different brands of charcoal, including lump
and its the same method for all. Once it is up to temp, I put on my meat and close the door. I add my wood to the fire box, (take a few secs) close it and leave it alone. It will get back to temp on its own. Just trust it! The Party performs different from other smokers, but cook just as well or better. if you need more information, call Backwoods, they are more than happy to talk to you and answer all of your question on their equipment, ask for Mike or Chase!!
Ronald cage is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
The right hand vent that the Guru mounts in will still open a third of the way even with the Guru adapter plate installed.
Mine had no opening at all when the guru adapter was installed and my temps were always rock solid. I would not want any airflow other than what the guru is providing - otherwise temps will wander. Are you sure you have it installed correctly and/or have the correct adapter?
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Got that, but it won't close all the way with the adapter in place. So you're starting with it wide open and then closing it as far as it goes, right?
Correct. In saying I close the right vent I meant to say I close it against the Guru adapter effectively making the Guru as the only source of air intake (provided the left vent is completely closed.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Just for clarity:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0967 (Mobile).JPG (22.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0968 (Mobile).JPG (19.1 KB, 62 views)

KCBS CBJ

Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

That doesn't look right to me. When you slide open the vent door you should see the inner plate of the guru adapter. I believe I can see your firebox in there. If so, you have a large amount of airflow that you shouldn't have. The guru adapter should completely seal that vent.
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber Genesis gasser

Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Well I guess my question should be what temp spikes do BWS users accept. Looking back at “palmtreefrb”’s WFI report his temp rolled back to 250 in about 5 minutes but by 6:31 am he was on a steady climb towards 300 degrees – he had at least a 30 degree increase.

Also is it normal for the temp to come back in 5 or so minutes and does anyone close off the guru at this time? I just don’t have swings like these in my big offset.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

I've found less coal or snaking the coal in your basket works best. 249 all day long last weekend with 4 slabs in

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you use lump or charcoal?
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #24
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

I was doing hot and fast and my set temperature was 290. I just decided to put my meat in at 250 and let it continue to rise to my set temperature. Once the set temp is reached the Party will hold very well with a fluctuation of maybe +- 15. I never worry of fluctuations of +- 25 as it's done when it's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
Well I guess my question should be what temp spikes do BWS users accept. Looking back at “palmtreefrb”’s WFI report his temp rolled back to 250 in about 5 minutes but by 6:31 am he was on a steady climb towards 300 degrees – he had at least a 30 degree increase.

Also is it normal for the temp to come back in 5 or so minutes and does anyone close off the guru at this time? I just don’t have swings like these in my big offset.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
That doesn't look right to me. When you slide open the vent door you should see the inner plate of the guru adapter. I believe I can see your firebox in there. If so, you have a large amount of airflow that you shouldn't have. The guru adapter should completely seal that vent.
I follow your line of reasoning and I will take a look to see if I have the adapter installed wrong. You can see that when the vent door is slid shut it does overlap the inner plate for the adapter thus providing a pretty good seal.

However, under your scenario, if I did want to allow air in via the right vent IN ADDITION TO the Guru adapter tube (to shorten time to target temp for instance), I would not be able to do that or I would have to remove the adapter. Correct?

KCBS CBJ

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post

I never close off the guru when opening the door. Once my temp rebounds to 270 within ten minutes, it is rock steady. The DigiQ display will lock in on the target temp when it is within 5 degrees of the target. That means my temp never swings more than 5 degrees in each direction or 10 degrees in aggregate.

KCBS CBJ

Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I follow your line of reasoning and I will take a look to see if I have the adapter installed wrong. You can see that when the vent door is slid shut it does overlap the inner plate for the adapter thus providing a pretty good seal.

However, under your scenario, if I did want to allow air in via the right vent IN ADDITION TO the Guru adapter tube (to shorten time to target temp for instance), I would not be able to do that or I would have to remove the adapter. Correct?
Yes, you would not be able to introduce more air from your right vent. However, the left vent is available and will provide more than enough airflow if you want it.
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber Genesis gasser

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I inquired about the Guru placement and whether it made any difference, since I've seen different vent arrangements on different BWS's.

I've got a 2012 Gater and the Left vent is in the rear of the cooker and the Right vent is in the front. I've tried both with the Guru 10cfm fan and have settled with the adapter secured on the LR vent, and start the briqs at that end of the tray. Does it make any difference?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote