MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

Default Monroe County BBQ?

I live in Simpson County and work at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Monroe County is only a couple counties away, but they hold they recipes to their heart!

They take pork shoulder and slice it extremely thin. Place it on the smoke with some indirect heat at 250, mop it with a vineragary goodness that I can not figure out! Wait 11 minutes and then flip and mop it again......Wait 11 minutes and flip and the final mop.

I can not figure out the mop. It is just great! I dont feel like it is a NC type sauce....

Any thoughts or anyone know a decent recipe?

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like it would be good ....
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

Here it is:

Must have sauce recipe!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Yea that stuff is great. Was raised in Clay county TN which is just across the line from Monroe and grew up eating at those places. There is one in Celina that had the sauce for sale last time I was there, wish I had bought some. Every time I go back up there I have to get me a plate or if my wife goes she knows to bring me back one.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

if I can ever catch Francis' open I'll try it for ya & do up a recipe. I live out near Freedom,1/2 way between T-ville & Glasgow.

p.s. there's nothing worth eating in Glasgow,well other than @ my house.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

p.s.s. the new Vette rocks.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

blues_n_cues: the new Vette does rock! I love this car!

Have you been to Big Moose's? I heard it was decent...I hear Frances is the place to go in TVille!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

There are also a couple of places in Glasgow that have it. Big Mooses BBQ for one. I've asked a couple of times about it but they are pretty tight lipped as well. I do know it's vinegar based and similar to Eastern NC but has something more that I haven't figured out yet. Very good eating.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBBQ View Post
blues_n_cues: the new Vette does rock! I love this car!

Have you been to Big Moose's? I heard it was decent...I hear Frances is the place to go in TVille!
Francis' is the only BBQ worth eating w/in 100 miles of here. Big Moose's is ok if you've never had 1/2 way decent BBQ before.it lives more off the name than the quality.

I ended up w/ some Guy Fieri Carolina sauce for x-mas & that stuff was decent & similar to what they serve around here. my qife told me it may be John Anderson's sauce.
http://www.fabuloustravel.com/usa/article/391/21783

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
if I can ever catch Francis' open I'll try it for ya & do up a recipe. I live out near Freedom,1/2 way between T-ville & Glasgow.
Yea Francis' is one of my favorites as well. If you are ever over in Celina try One Stop, it's at the end of town just across the river as you go towards Dale Hollow. That's where I seen the sauce for sale.
In Red Boiling Springs there's one called Big Eds that's good as well.
There used to be one called Goolsbys right there on the line going from T-ville to Celina but I think it went out, it was good.
Since I grew up with that type of BBQ I don't care for places that only have shredded BBQ.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
Yea Francis' is one of my favorites as well. If you are ever over in Celina try One Stop, it's at the end of town just across the river as you go towards Dale Hollow. That's where I seen the sauce for sale.
In Red Boiling Springs there's one called Big Eds that's good as well.
There used to be one called Goolsbys right there on the line going from T-ville to Celina but I think it went out, it was good.
Since I grew up with that type of BBQ I don't care for places that only have shredded BBQ.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
cool.we go through Celina on occassion. growing up in south & central Texas & doing BBQ all over I can say that these people have a lot to learn about real BBQ. most do that thin sliced pork they call shoulder & it's like jerky w/ a bone in it. somebody opened a place in Edmonton a while back & the pp was too spicy even for me. 2 bites & I couldn't eat anymore of it,they have already folded and there's another place here in town that uses scraps from the pallet factory down the road which often times has pine in it.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

In St. Louis we call that a pork steak. And, they are delicious!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good BTW we had a field trip at the vette museum Monday very nice place the students love it
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

Awesome!! Glad you liked it!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

My son is working at the Corvette factory and living in Bowling Green. I was down there just after Christmas to see him.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote