The Bread Blues...

W

wild haggis

Hi guys, just wanted to share an idea I had with ya'll while I was at a music festival last year. On the 3rd day, my friend’s burger grill ran out of buns (apparently quite a common problem with these long weekend gigs). He diced up the remaining chicken breasts and made BBQ chicken skewers instead - problem solved.
My idea was to make pita bread on site and sell stuffed pitas as a fancier alternative to rolls or buns. This would considerably reduce the portion sizes as we only used half a chicken breast per skewer, and it would also allow us to sell lamb pitas too (kebabs).
Pitas are traditionally just made with flour, raising agent, water and spices so you don’t have to worry about having eggs or milk.
I just recently joined the Brethren and wanted to contribute some ideas so please let me know what you think!
Joe

I can't say if that's a good idea or not - I've never cooked pita bread so I don't know how the logistics will go. But I would definitely try one as a consumer!!

I personally need a visual when providing this type of feedback, sounds good though!
Trying them one weekend could not hurt.

HD regulations will require different setup and equipment than doing BBQ. In some states it's a different inspection than for vending.

I'd say start with your HD.

Maybe find a Greek or Eastern bakery and buy them fresh daily, add tomato's onions, some peppers, bbq sauce to keep the theme. Sounds good ..

Hi guys, just wanted to share an idea I had with ya'll while I was at a music festival last year. On the 3rd day, my friend’s burger grill ran out of buns (apparently quite a common problem with these long weekend gigs). He diced up the remaining chicken breasts and made BBQ chicken skewers instead - problem solved.
My idea was to make pita bread on site and sell stuffed pitas as a fancier alternative to rolls or buns. This would considerably reduce the portion sizes as we only used half a chicken breast per skewer, and it would also allow us to sell lamb pitas too (kebabs).
Pitas are traditionally just made with flour, raising agent, water and spices so you don’t have to worry about having eggs or milk.
I just recently joined the Brethren and wanted to contribute some ideas so please let me know what you think!
Joe
Not a bad idea but you and I can get pita or nan bread in bulk cheaper that what we would spend in time and effort making it.

We have never run out of buns, stuffing for the pork rolls yes but never burger buns. We actually took a few dozen buns and toasted them on the cooker, crushed them and add seasoning plus water and made more stuffing. That was all sorted then we ran out of apple sauce so we found fresh apples and made that too. PITA but fun and felt like we were cooking from scratch for family. :icon_cool

Things ya gotta do at events eh.l0l

Back