MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Reheating pulled pork with some constraints...

In light of overwhelmingly positive response to having pulled pork sandwiches for sale at my son's high school soccer concession stand last year, I've been put on the hook to do the same again this year, starting with tomorrow night.

I have several bags of vac-sealed pork from my last cook that I'm willing to donate to the cause, so no issue there.

There's really no way, particularly given the time constraints between end of the work day and start of the JV game, to warm the pork at the stand.

Unlike last year, I'm currently too busy at work to leave early enough to go home and simmer or oven heat the pork then take it to the stand.

I pulled the bags of pork out of the freezer yesterday and put them in the fridge to thaw. I have a crock pot that's big enough to hold as much pork as we'll need, so I'm thinking of putting the pork in the crock pot before I leave for work tomorrow morning, set it to low, and then take the warmed pork in the pot to the stand after work.

Do you forsee any problems doing it this way? Do you think I'll want to add a little liquid to keep it from drying out? Maybe a little cider vinegar?

Thanks!

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe add a little water & apple juice mix. If you have big crockpots then maybe a cup. When you get home see how moist it is and you can add more.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

It'll dry out.
Got a turkey fryer you can simmer and warm up on-site?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys. It turns out that my wife will be able to stop by the house about three hours before I'll get home, so she'll put the crock in its base and turn it on to the "warm" setting.

I've added a cup of 50/50 apple juice and water and will check for moistness before I leave for the field.

It won't be ideal, but will be heads and shoulders above what I've seen on offer at the other teams' concession stands!

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Dale in GA
On the road to being a farker

Know this is an older thread but I have had very good luck placing vacuum sealed bags of pre-cooked pulled pork into hot water to simmer with very good results. You can even vac seal large chucks and pull once reheated.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's gonna turn to mush in the crock pot.

The pork should be reheated in the sealed bags. Heat a large pot of hot water and put the bags in it. When it's hot dump the whole pot of water and bags in an cooler and deliver to the location.

Open bags had appropriate amount of hot apple juice and more rub...serve.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote