MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #226
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ View Post
I cant thank you enough, or the guy who steered me to this thread.
Now, a quick question...My UDS is kicking butt! I love it. I dont have a charcoal pan below my coal box...so the coals just fall to the bottom. Is the only purpose of the pan to ease clean up after a cook?

I opened my lid during my first cook and some ash did fly up from draft i guess. would the pan under teh box stop this?

Thanks again to all who have helped me with the UDS design, this thing has changed my life.

I think that's the whole idea of an ashpan.
I've done it only twice cause the briquettes that I use leave almost no ash,I take the basket out of the drum then the ashpan and dump the ash from the pan into the trashcan,put everything back in and she's ready to smoke.
I also used a flat metal thingy to scrape the ashes that's blended with the fat and stuff out of the ashpan.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #227
Fat Daddy's Franks
Got Wood.

Now a few more questions from some of you pros...

What are the increased cooking times like? I've been using a WSM and the Virtual Weber Bullet has made my mind go nuts over cook temps and times.

I'm opening up a little BBQ/Hot Dog Joint in a Circle K/76 Station this week and have one offset stick burner and 2 UDS's that I will be using to cook.

Currently with the WSM and Offset I cook:

Pulled Pork - about 18-20 hrs
Chicken - about 3-4 hrs
Ribs - about 5-6 hrs

With the direct heat what should I expect?
Fat Daddy's Franks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #228
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks phubar, I will start to work on it. I think I am just going to go down to the dollar store and buy a large pie tin and set my box in it.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #229
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ View Post
Thanks phubar, I will start to work on it. I think I am just going to go down to the dollar store and buy a large pie tin and set my box in it.

No problem.
This is not the ideal ashpan but it was a phree score and it works so...
It's aluminium BTW.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Last edited by Phubar; 12-15-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #230
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

cool. my charcoal box is actually a box. 12x12x12...so what I get will fit in there. Thanks again

Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #231
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Daddy's Franks View Post
Now a few more questions from some of you pros...

What are the increased cooking times like? I've been using a WSM and the Virtual Weber Bullet has made my mind go nuts over cook temps and times.

I'm opening up a little BBQ/Hot Dog Joint in a Circle K/76 Station this week and have one offset stick burner and 2 UDS's that I will be using to cook.

Currently with the WSM and Offset I cook:

Pulled Pork - about 18-20 hrs
Chicken - about 3-4 hrs
Ribs - about 5-6 hrs

With the direct heat what should I expect?
"Pulled Pork - about 18-20 hrs
Chicken - about 3-4 hrs
Ribs - about 5-6 hrs"

Pulled pork - I just did two 9 lbs in 13 hours(they are done when done)
Chic - about same +-
ribs - 4 to 6 hours (again done when done)

No help I know....... Just my experience...........

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #232
Fat Daddy's Franks
Got Wood.

Thanks Paul...

Okay so tonight I fired up the new UDS to season... My temp jumped to 350 (taken at lid level) and then rested at 300 with all vents closed...

I fired up about 30 coals (greyed over) and about 4 small wedges of hardwood. Wasn't but about a half weber chimney starter... What did I do wrong and should these things always be fired up with the basket part way full (10-12 lbs) and then about 10 lit coals and hardwood? (Minion Method?)

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #233
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

fat I think you lit to many coals to start .. i load my basket with 10 lbs and 10 lit coals and let it rip 225 for 8 + hrs

Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #234
Fat Daddy's Franks
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
fat I think you lit to many coals to start .. i load my basket with 10 lbs and 10 lit coals and let it rip 225 for 8 + hrs
Gonna try Minion Method tomorrow AM with 1 full chimney starter unlit coals, 5 chunks hickory, and about 10 lit coals and see what happens...

Has anybody tried adding a water pan to one of these? I was considering using 3, 1/4 in U bolts and a very large chrome mixing bowl...

Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #235
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Gonna try Minion Method tomorrow AM with 1 full chimney starter unlit coals, 5 chunks hickory, and about 10 lit coals and see what happens...

Has anybody tried adding a water pan to one of these? I was considering using 3, 1/4 in U bolts and a very large chrome mixing bowl...
Visit the main UDS thread. I think there are more than a couple post on waterpans. Should be easy to find.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #236
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

No need for a water pan, than it's not uds cooking. I just load up my main basket with coal add 8 to 10 lit coals to the top, lower into SS UDS, scramble like hell before the temp gets too hot(amazing how fast that happens), open top vent wide open and start adjusting the air intake watching as the temp nears my target temp, add meat, then let it cruse. At end of cook shut all vents and let it die. The unburnt coals are used on the smokey joe or added to the new basket on the next cook. My last cook of two 9 pound butts went 12 hours and I still had about a dozen coals let over!! .

But that's just my experience.....

Paul B

Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #237
Fat Daddy's Franks
Got Wood.

THANKS GUYS!

Tried it today with the ten coals.... That was the key! Yes temp does rise quickly got it to 225 in no time ran at about 240 with all vents closed for most of the cook (Chicken Drums) they came out great.

No need for the water pan.... May need to try to seal up my lid a little better with some high temp silicone to keep the draft out. Overall I am well pleased and will now be making my second in the next few weeks or so!

Cooking Tri-Tip tomorrow and we'll see how that goes...

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #238
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Make sure your exhaust is wide open(weber type lids), or you have at least a 2 1/2" bung hole, or 8 - 1" holes evenly spaced around a flat lid. Then you should be able to shut all vents execpt one the will be just barely open. All these drums cruse at slightly different temps and once you find that you will just sit there waiting for the food to be done. In my 12 hour cook I only had to check ever 2 hours or so and did have to make some suttle adjustments. ( I'm still learning on mine )

Paul B
SS UDS

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #239
WRLoo9
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Smile *UDS*build. ej

Getting redy to build a UDS but having trouble locating a suitable barrel
or barrels in Sherman, Tx. or around Lake Texoma... any suggestions would
be appreciated.... thanks, ej
WRLoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #240
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice build Phubar!
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY Drum Smoker, Homemade Ugly Drum Smoker, How to build a UDS, Norcoredneck, PBC vs UDS, Trailer Treasure, tutorial, uds, UDS Tutorial