MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #106
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree Mark. I have one that has been riding around in the back of the truck
for this very reason.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
My slightly different take is how a surplus Weber kettle lid fits.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #107
Phlytyer
Found some matches.

Grate tutorial!!! This should be a sticky. Beats the dickens out of a 200+ page discussion. Not that that there isn't a wealth of information there, just a whole bunch of chaff to filter thru.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #108
hosshess
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree on making this a sticky it has saved me a few dozen hours (that I can be Q'ing instead :))
Does anyone have a good suggestion for cutting out the top of a sealed lid drum? My weber lid fits this one perfect. I also have an open lid but the weber will only hover on it I have seen a few people weld an extra lip on the drum to make it fit, with no real access to a welder does anyone have a suggestion for this problem?
Thanks for helping a fledgling out!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #109
LeckembyBrosCustoms
Found some matches.

I am new to the forum, am currently building my first smoker... I have some ideas which I will share as soon as I have the photos...
LeckembyBrosCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #110
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosshess View Post
I agree on making this a sticky it has saved me a few dozen hours (that I can be Q'ing instead :))
Does anyone have a good suggestion for cutting out the top of a sealed lid drum? My weber lid fits this one perfect. I also have an open lid but the weber will only hover on it I have seen a few people weld an extra lip on the drum to make it fit, with no real access to a welder does anyone have a suggestion for this problem?
Thanks for helping a fledgling out!!

LOL... see this is already answered in the thread that you don't want to read...

just messin... to answer your question, i flattened the lip out and then reshaped it while it was sitting on the drum... all done, and only a few minor leaks that were solved with a little tin foil...
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #111
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Norco,excellent job.You have made it so simple that even i can understand.Just walked back to machine shop and checked for empty barrel and found one exactly like yours in the picture(coolant for machines).Went shopping in warehouse and even found nipples and ball valve.This looks like my weekend project. My project to build offset smoker with 3/4" thick hydraulic barrel has been put on back burner for now.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #112
420 Reasons to Eat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hello,

I'm brand new to this site, and I'm brand new to the BBQ world. I have always loved to eat it, But now is the point to start making it.

I am one step #1 of a UDS, I have the barrel.

I have one Question before I begin the Building process, actually two.

#1 What kind of Drill Bit's do I need? I am completely ignorant to drilling steel, I will purchase everything needed including the Drill.

#2 Any tips on burning the Liner off of the lid with-out using a weed burner? The barrel I have has a red liner inside, I believe it was used for pomegranate juice.

Thank You for your help, this thread has been extremely helpful.
420 Reasons to Eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #113
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 Reasons to Eat View Post
Hello,

I'm brand new to this site, and I'm brand new to the BBQ world. I have always loved to eat it, But now is the point to start making it.

I am one step #1 of a UDS, I have the barrel.

I have one Question before I begin the Building process, actually two.

#1 What kind of Drill Bit's do I need? I am completely ignorant to drilling steel, I will purchase everything needed including the Drill.

#2 Any tips on burning the Liner off of the lid with-out using a weed burner? The barrel I have has a red liner inside, I believe it was used for pomegranate juice.

Thank You for your help, this thread has been extremely helpful.
It's all in here.....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ly+drum+smoker

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #114
LeckembyBrosCustoms
Found some matches.

Reasons you will need a punch to make a starter "dimple" in the metal, this will allow you to drill a pilot hole. Once you have the hole you can use a step drill bill. You can see it in Norco's pictures it looks like a little golden pyramid. go slow and extend the hole just enough to accept the metal threaded pipe this will be important if you want to use the lock nuts rather than weld them. As for the burn out I just started a really good fire and it got most of the liner out the weed burners are pretty cheap here in So California we have a tool place called Harbor Freight not the greatest quality but it is inexpensive. Please feel free to email me if you get stuck. Good Luck Dan

Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #115
LeckembyBrosCustoms
Found some matches.

I am toying with the idea of a lid. I am picking up another 55gal drum to experiment will post picts either way.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #116
Norcoredneck

If you don't mind spending some cash I can tell you where you can get a no mod lid that fits most closed head drums.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #117
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Has anyone ever tried using a SawZal and cutting down through the lip say maybe a half inch every inch or so then tap the lip inwards a bit with a hammer to make the Weber lid fit? If the cuts leaked a little air you could seal them with high temp sealer.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #118
StayDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
If you don't mind spending some cash I can tell you where you can get a no mod lid that fits most closed head drums.

OK..now I am curious! Do tell

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #119
KaBudokan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just a questions - I built a UDS, and have fired it up. It worked well, but I had a minor issue on the build. Mine's a no-weld model, so I wanted to use the conduit lock nuts. My problem is that the lock nuts don't go onto the nipples far enough - in other words, they get maybe 3/8" on and that's as tight as I can get them, so they don't actually lock anything on. Any suggestions? It works as is, as I can work the caps so as not to twist the nipple, but I'm also not sure they're quite as airtight as they should be.
KaBudokan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #120
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBudokan View Post
Just a questions - I built a UDS, and have fired it up. It worked well, but I had a minor issue on the build. Mine's a no-weld model, so I wanted to use the conduit lock nuts. My problem is that the lock nuts don't go onto the nipples far enough - in other words, they get maybe 3/8" on and that's as tight as I can get them, so they don't actually lock anything on. Any suggestions? It works as is, as I can work the caps so as not to twist the nipple, but I'm also not sure they're quite as airtight as they should be.

Put one on outside concave towards can, one on inside concave towards can.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Tags
DIY Drum Smoker, Homemade Ugly Drum Smoker, How to build a UDS, Norcoredneck, PBC vs UDS, Trailer Treasure, tutorial, uds, UDS Tutorial