MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #91
rocksteadyfreddy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

fellas,
I know this is several months old, but I am ready to rock and roll on this project. Found some reconditioned drums from an oil place for 26 bucks each. going to do a burn next weekend and get my supplies up. i'll post pics of the build, and sweet delicious smoked porky goodness as well.

godspeed and good smokin'

freddy
rocksteadyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #92
rocksteadyfreddy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Also,
where is the best place to get some expanded metal from?

freddy
rocksteadyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #93
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

freddy, you can get the expanded metal at HD or Lowes but it is not cheap and light weight. Go to a local metal fabricating shop and you can get a lot heavier metal and real cheap, if not free from their cut off pile.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #94
boothguy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Is it okay to use oil barrels? I am curious if using an oil barrel could be hazardous to your health or would cause problems with flavor? I have been looking for a food quality barrel that had not been used for petroleum products. I found a "green" recycler that sells heavy duty food quality barrels used only once for $30.
Any thoughts or reports?
boothguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #95
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
Is it okay to use oil barrels? I am curious if using an oil barrel could be hazardous to your health or would cause problems with flavor? I have been looking for a food quality barrel that had not been used for petroleum products. I found a "green" recycler that sells heavy duty food quality barrels used only once for $30.
Any thoughts or reports?
I prefer oil drums...they have no liner and the oil burns off easily during construction. Other chemicals I'd have to think twice about though.

Last edited by SmokeWatcher; 02-21-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: content
SmokeWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #96
boothguy

I may have to try that then. I can find used once oil barrels for $10 locally but would have to drive 100 miles to get a food quality one that probably has a liner in it for 30 dollars.
I definitely would not use one that was used for pesticides or weed spray but oil would burn off. I had heard that oil remains in the steel for some time but if it is used elsewhere it may be okay to use.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #97
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Check if your oil barrel supplier has food grade oil or mineral oil barrels...those are the safest. If you have any food manufactures in the area, they may have a barrel for you too.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #98
boothguy

I have been looking through some web sites concerning carcinogens in oils that would be shipped to a fuel oil/lubricant dealer and it appears to me that a barrel that was used to deliver hydraulic oil would be relatively safe. In most cases, hydraulic oils do not contain much if any carcinogenic materials. AS the oil is not used as a lubricant many of the additives that are in motor oils are not present. I checked out safety sites from AmsOil, Mobil, etc and found that carcinogen is not listed as a hazard in their hydraulic fluid.
Of course it is best to be very cautious in selecting the barrel and the oil dealer is required to carry the safety sheets of any of their oil products and should be checked before purchasing a cheap barrel. Food barrels would always be the safest to use as they cannot be used more than one time before being disposed of but lately, most food quality barrels are now made out of recyclable plastic and a steel barrel may become difficult to find in the future.
In any case, it is very important to always check to see what the barrel was used for before making a decision to use it to smoke your food. Burning out the barrel is always necessary no matter what sort of barrel you find.
STAY SAFE

Old 02-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #99
SCPossum
Knows what a fatty is.

I picked up a 2" temperature gauge for 8.00 shipped off of EBAY yesterday.
SCPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #100
cvan
On the road to being a farker

dang i'm going to have to add a UDS. I likes I likes .
Thanks for making that look simple and all those picts in on spot.
cvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #101
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I may be stupid but...
The most important thing when it comes to getting a barrel,
is the fit of the lid.
It doesn't much matter what has been in it other than paint, it will all burn out after several good trial burns.

How many old guys do we know that have been cooking out of fuel oil tanks for years?
Put the heat to it and stop all the fretting.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
I have been looking through some web sites concerning carcinogens in oils that would be shipped to a fuel oil/lubricant dealer and it appears to me that a barrel that was used to deliver hydraulic oil would be relatively safe. In most cases, hydraulic oils do not contain much if any carcinogenic materials. AS the oil is not used as a lubricant many of the additives that are in motor oils are not present. I checked out safety sites from AmsOil, Mobil, etc and found that carcinogen is not listed as a hazard in their hydraulic fluid.
Of course it is best to be very cautious in selecting the barrel and the oil dealer is required to carry the safety sheets of any of their oil products and should be checked before purchasing a cheap barrel. Food barrels would always be the safest to use as they cannot be used more than one time before being disposed of but lately, most food quality barrels are now made out of recyclable plastic and a steel barrel may become difficult to find in the future.
In any case, it is very important to always check to see what the barrel was used for before making a decision to use it to smoke your food. Burning out the barrel is always necessary no matter what sort of barrel you find.
STAY SAFE
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #102
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Weiser- I pretty much agree with you. All these food grade liners are not very food grade while the fire is being put to them. The bottom line is to burn all barrels out really well with hardwood and clean them down to the metal. I just dropped off two barrels and a whole bunch of hardwood to some picketing strikers down the road. They do a great job of burning out my barrels. After a couple of days I will take them two more!!! No Fire Marshal visits!
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #103
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
I may be stupid but...
The most important thing when it comes to getting a barrel,
is the fit of the lid.
It doesn't much matter what has been in it other than paint, it will all burn out after several good trial burns.

How many old guys do we know that have been cooking out of fuel oil tanks for years?
Put the heat to it and stop all the fretting.

Weiser
My slightly different take is how a surplus Weber kettle lid fits.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #104
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
. I just dropped off two barrels and a whole bunch of hardwood to some picketing strikers down the road. They do a great job of burning out my barrels. After a couple of days I will take them two more!!! No Fire Marshal visits!
Finally . . . a way to get picketers to make a positive contribution (if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line.) Wouldn't work for me in the desert.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #105
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Very resourceful!
Great idea.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Weiser- I pretty much agree with you. All these food grade liners are not very food grade while the fire is being put to them. The bottom line is to burn all barrels out really well with hardwood and clean them down to the metal. I just dropped off two barrels and a whole bunch of hardwood to some picketing strikers down the road. They do a great job of burning out my barrels. After a couple of days I will take them two more!!! No Fire Marshal visits!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY Drum Smoker, Homemade Ugly Drum Smoker, How to build a UDS, Norcoredneck, PBC vs UDS, Trailer Treasure, tutorial, uds, UDS Tutorial