MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #1291
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Cooked chicken, burgers, and dogs so far on the GMG DB; great results on all. Tastes better than food cooked on the gasser, but I can't place the origins of the great flavor. It must be coming from the pellets, but I can't identify it as smoke. Not sure I can accept a butt or brisket that doesn't have that distinctive smoke flavor. Debating on just cooking them straight up or using the A-MAZE-N tube. This "one hour on smoke, then raise the temperature" stuff doesn't suit me.
Dr. Blonder did a write up on this. The superior flavor is coming from combustion gases. He writes that “smoke” is a misnomer. Smoke is a combination of invisible combustion gases (the good stuff you are tasting that you can’t place) and visible gases which is actually a combination of water, soot, and creosote ( a little goes a long way). This is why people tell you to shoot for thin blue or even transparent smoke while cooking. The more invisible combustion gases you produce the better your food will taste. Wood produces the most, then charcoal, then gas, and electric produces nothing. I can attest that my food tastes better off my pellet than my charcoal but like you I’m not tasting more smoke. I believe Blonder’s write up is called “the science of smoke”.

Last edited by BKING!; 12-13-2018 at 08:40 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #1292
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

And my explanation above is why I love pellet smokers and why I’ve been making my best food yet. An all wood fuel source makes a big difference.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #1293
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Cooked chicken, burgers, and dogs so far on the GMG DB; great results on all. Tastes better than food cooked on the gasser, but I can't place the origins of the great flavor. It must be coming from the pellets, but I can't identify it as smoke. Not sure I can accept a butt or brisket that doesn't have that distinctive smoke flavor. Debating on just cooking them straight up or using the A-MAZE-N tube. This "one hour on smoke, then raise the temperature" stuff doesn't suit me.
For a butt or brisket I tend to set the cooker for 4-5 hours on “SMOKE” then raise the temp to 225-250. I also try to put the meat in cold and moist, which helps with smoke in the early hours. So far I’ve never lacked smoke flavour and never augmented with tubes, etc.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #1294
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Beautiful brisket and ribs y’all!!!

I’I’ll say this about PG no more than I’ve messed with mine. A PG really benefits from a blanket especially in weather like that. A moving blanket from harbor freight would have helped in your heat containment and timing.
Wrapping a blanket around it might be a bit of a challenge. If I’m not mistaken, a Memphis, like my Mak, exhausts the smoke thru louvres in the back of the cook chamber body rather than thru a stack like a Yoder. You’d have to leave the louvres uncovered. Maybe lay the blanket over the top, drop some blanket over the front but leave the back clear? Seems awkward.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #1295
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Glad my PB has a stack going to pu a new blanket this weekend ,hit it a few times as a grill which uses more pellets but wow with the cold weather a 30-60 minute run at 350-400 runs thru some pellets for sure

Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 AM   #1296
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Dr. Blonder did a write up on this. The superior flavor is coming from combustion gases. He writes that “smoke” is a misnomer. Smoke is a combination of invisible combustion gases (the good stuff you are tasting that you can’t place) and visible gases which is actually a combination of water, soot, and creosote ( a little goes a long way). This is why people tell you to shoot for thin blue or even transparent smoke while cooking. The more invisible combustion gases you produce the better your food will taste. Wood produces the most, then charcoal, then gas, and electric produces nothing. I can attest that my food tastes better off my pellet than my charcoal but like you I’m not tasting more smoke. I believe Blonder’s write up is called “the science of smoke”.
Interesting. On my WSM, I get thin blue smoke but still have a definite smoke profile. Got next week off so maybe I'll cook two butts; one on smoke for a couple of hours, then put the second on after I turn up the temp. Later, I'll try one with the tube. Experiment!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #1297
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Did some applewood smoked sausages. Man they are good! I cooked up my wife some spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs. The low carb diet can suck at times.

Last edited by BKING!; 12-28-2018 at 04:55 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #1298
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Did some applewood smoked sausages. Man they are good! I cooked up my wife some spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs. The low carb diet can suck at times.

Man, if I didn’t have another bowl of pasta the rest of my life I’d probably be just fine. Maybe I am odd, but give me meat and veggies and I good to go. Ok, maybe an occasional junk food binge, but ya gotta keep those to a minimum :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #1299
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Man, if I didn’t have another bowl of pasta the rest of my life I’d probably be just fine. Maybe I am odd, but give me meat and veggies and I good to go. Ok, maybe an occasional junk food binge, but ya gotta keep those to a minimum :)
It’s amazing what you crave when you go without carbs for a while. Still the easiest diet for a guy who likes to bbq though.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #1300
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
Wrapping a blanket around it might be a bit of a challenge. If I’m not mistaken, a Memphis, like my Mak, exhausts the smoke thru louvres in the back of the cook chamber body rather than thru a stack like a Yoder. You’d have to leave the louvres uncovered. Maybe lay the blanket over the top, drop some blanket over the front but leave the back clear? Seems awkward.
As always YMMV... On the GMG there is a smoke stack making a blanket for heat containment a snap!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #1301
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Got a cheap 4x6 welding blanket I plan on using with my GMG Daniel Boone this winter but I'm not sure about the best way to do it. I know lots of you guys do this; any advice? Pics would be great.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #1302
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
As always YMMV... On the GMG there is a smoke stack making a blanket for heat containment a snap!
Got pics? Also Got a GMG.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #1303
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Got a cheap 4x6 welding blanket I plan on using with my GMG Daniel Boone this winter but I'm not sure about the best way to do it. I know lots of you guys do this; any advice? Pics would be great.
I have never used a blanket.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #1304
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Have you done it before? I did it last year and lost 70lbs. Went off the diet and it all came back. Unless you plan on keeping good to the diet the rest of your life, the weight will come back. I also work with guys that do the low carb thing and the same thing. They lose it and it is right back.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #1305
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Have you done it before? I did it last year and lost 70lbs. Went off the diet and it all came back. Unless you plan on keeping good to the diet the rest of your life, the weight will come back. I also work with guys that do the low carb thing and the same thing. They lose it and it is right back.
Yes it helped me lose 60 pounds and now I’m just maintaining. It’s been 1.5 years since losing and I’ve maintained it all. I just have more cheat days now. It’s nice to see your abs lol