MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #10141
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Nice shelf. Just don't put any food on the treated lumber. Bad stuff in treated lumber.
I guess it's OK to make picnic tables out of treated lumber but not BarBQ pits...Hmmm???

Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #10142
HudsDad
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm sure he meant that you shouldn't put food directly on treated lumber like you would with food grade tops. There are some nasty chemicals in treated wood that you really don't want in your food.
HudsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #10143
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a question about my exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare.
I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #10144
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
I'm sure he meant that you shouldn't put food directly on treated lumber like you would with food grade tops. There are some nasty chemicals in treated wood that you really don't want in your food.
Well I guess I'm old enough to still have some common sense ... I have always used a cover of sorts on any outside surface be it a BarBQ pit, a picnic table or a concrete bench. It just erks me at times when everything we do someone has to come up with a reason not to do it. I guess this is the reason we have so damn many warning labels on everything.

Just use a little common sense in life and the stress factor of what will kill us will be a lot less.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #10145
ferrazuk
Got rid of the matchlight.

hi im new here, need some advice. Ive bought a steel drum (32 inches high, 22 inches diameter). is this too short to convert to a UDS? Also, is it essential to have 24 inches between coal basket and grill grate? Thanks in advance
ferrazuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #10146
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
I have a question about my exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare.
I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...
Do it either way, no difference. Mine are flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrazuk View Post
hi im new here, need some advice. Ive bought a steel drum (32 inches high, 22 inches diameter). is this too short to convert to a UDS? Also, is it essential to have 24 inches between coal basket and grill grate? Thanks in advance

Not an expert but some where between 22 1/2 to 24 would be acceptable, just adjust the height off the bottom a small amount.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #10147
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
I use the refrigerator magnets from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-98502.html

Easy to use and you can hang your cooking implements from them.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #10148
wayada
Found some matches.

Waited for the city inspector to make his routine 11:30am drive by and then completed the burn out today...hopefully build this weekend.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #10149
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I'm starting another UDS build and picked up a couple cans of the Kleen Strip and it really works. I didnt want to do a burn out so I used it to strip the paint off and then I had one lid with the tan liner and it worked like a charm. I got most of the paint off the drums although the pics show some spots. 2 cans for 2 drums. Gonna finish the build next weekend.

wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #10150
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I picked up a can of Kleen-Strip to test on my dreaded red liner... I'll report and post pix when I do later this week. Glad to know this stuff works so well on the tan and exterior paint.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #10151
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
I'm starting another UDS build and picked up a couple cans of the Kleen Strip and it really works. I didnt want to do a burn out so I used it to strip the paint off and then I had one lid with the tan liner and it worked like a charm. I got most of the paint off the drums although the pics show some spots. 2 cans for 2 drums. Gonna finish the build next weekend.

Hey, great! I'm glad somebody else tried it and had as much success as I had. I just wish you were able to test it on another liner (like the red).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I picked up a can of Kleen-Strip to test on my dreaded red liner... I'll report and post pix when I do later this week. Glad to know this stuff works so well on the tan and exterior paint.
Can't wait to see how well it works with the dreaded red. I wish you the best of luck!
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #10152
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

So gave Kleen-Strip a try on my red liner. I just did a small section of the underside of my drum's lid for a test run.

Before:

Gave it 15 minutes and tried scraping. I got a good amount around the edges, but the middle hardly had a dent in it.

I gave it a second coat and really let it soak in. More red came off, but far from the results on paint.

That's after 2 coats and scrapings, about 45 minutes total exposure time.

So my guess is that with more effort and many more coats, it could get the drum to bare metal. But at 8 bucks a can or so, I think I'd rather just haul the thing to the sand blaster. Next build I will *definitely* put the effort into finding a tan liner or bare drum. Will probably use up the rest of the can I bought to get as much of the outer paint off and maybe save myself a few bucks on the sandblasting.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10153
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Damn that sucks. Good try though.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #10154
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Aw man, well it was worth a shot, at least. Sorry you didn't have the same luck I had.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #10155
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Hey, it's a great product and I was excited to try. The farkin' red liner is just too strong!!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker