• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork rule vs beef rule?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Below is the rules for 2010 relating to pork and beef. The rule for pork is that it can not be seperated and returned to the cooker to finish cooking, but brisket says nothing about removing the point and returning it to the cooker for burnt ends, that is acceptable.

My question apparently is, why its ok for beef but not for pork especially now that so many cooks want that elusive money mussel? Do you agree with this rule as it stands?
Dave

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker.
BEEF BRISKET: May be whole brisket, flat, or point. Corned
beef is not allowed.

Last edited:
Well, it keeps people from using pork tenderloins instead of money muscle. I don't know the full history but it seems that people had done that.

Still don't understand how it keeps people from using tenderloins? If people want to cheat they can. My cooker has never been checked during a comp that I know of. If I wanted to be a sleezeball and throw a few tenderloins on I could and run in my trailer with them in a pan no one would know. I am not sure of the tenderlound advantage because a proper cooked butt is way better than any tederloin.
All I can say it is a dumb rule and they are keeping people from cooking the best product they can if returning a parted butt back to the cooker is in their process.

As Buster said, it goes back to history. Beef didn't have that issue because brisket is brisket.

Pork originally wasn't butt, it was pork.

It became refined into what it is today.

That is why teams cook at least two pork butts, one for the money muscle and one for the rest of the turn-in since they have different temps at which they get pulled off the smoker.

Really? How so?

I'll keep the technique to myself, but there is an awesome technique involved, if allowed to do, My pork would be that much better.:tape: I cook to my best ability to the rule, if the rule was different I would not be limited. Having such a silly rule limits techinque, I bleieve that is why the rule was put into place because there were teams out there parting and kicking ass.

I think baseball's dropped 3rd strike rule is stupid, but because I feel that way that doesn't mean it should be changed.

I can someone understand the confusion on the rule since brisket is different, but if pork is allowed to go back on after parting, will ribs be next? How come no one ever compares pork to ribs instead of brisket?

It's not like teams that don't do as well in pork are at a disadvantage - everyone is playing by the same rules.

I'll keep the technique to myself, but there is an awesome technique involved, if allowed to do, My pork would be that much better.:tape: I cook to my best ability to the rule, if the rule was different I would not be limited. Having such a silly rule limits techinque, I bleieve that is why the rule was put into place because there were teams out there parting and kicking ass.
You can't butterfly it to only have a think piece separating the muscle from the butt?

You can't butterfly it to only have a think piece separating the muscle from the butt?

You can, and many folks have or do. Some will argue that it's against the spirit of the rule, but technically it's always been ruled legal as far as I know.

IF you have to move it at any time before removing it from the cooker it can be risky.

I think baseball's dropped 3rd strike rule is stupid, but because I feel that way that doesn't mean it should be changed.

I can someone understand the confusion on the rule since brisket is different, but if pork is allowed to go back on after parting, will ribs be next? How come no one ever compares pork to ribs instead of brisket?

It's not like teams that don't do as well in pork are at a disadvantage - everyone is playing by the same rules.

Not sure what could be done different with ribs in relation to putting butts and brisket points back on. I think everyone is on the same level playing field, with the rules handed them, just different levels of experience and somewhat the level of there pocket book. I was just curious as to the whys and what fores.
Dave

Lesson Learned (a few months ago):

Unless you have the desire to be thrown in front of a bus, run't over, back'd over,
run't over again, back'd over again, demanded that you explain the earth and why
we exist upon it, never under any circumstances question the logic of a KCBS rule.

:doh:

What I find interesting is that when discussing garnish and propane, people invoke the name of Gary Wells and his vision and unknown reasons for doing things, thus they must always be done the same. No one ever seems to connect the dots that the pork rules which currently exist were not the original ones and have been ammended over time to accomodate changing views on BBQ and competition.

dmp

Back