MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #1291
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

50% off uniformed officers last 30" of operation. Set up a secure wifi and only give password to law enforcement so they can park in the lot and utilize their tablets, laptops and smartphones. We have quite a few business in Amarillo that do the wifi thing. Quite a few churches do it

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #1292
defence18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg71 View Post
People love businesses that value quality. You should sell it bulk at 50% off and market your screwups! It will be great from a merketing perspective and will cut your waste costs
I was thinking something like this myself. Say, "Look, I sell my product for what I know it's worth. I can't in good conscience sell you this for my full price. If you would still like to buy it, I will sell it to you for XX% of full price."

I think it would create an excellent rapport with the client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
50% off uniformed officers last 30" of operation. Set up a secure wifi and only give password to law enforcement so they can park in the lot and utilize their tablets, laptops and smartphones. We have quite a few business in Amarillo that do the wifi thing. Quite a few churches do it
IMHO, the problems with 50% off in last 30 mins is that 1) it appears that the last 30 mins may have no product left to sell; and 2) I doubt Jeremy leaves any time near when the place closes.
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #1293
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

uote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams

Create a rapport with the local boys in blue...perhaps hold back a pork sammich with a coupla sides or something in the warmer. Have a night shift officer sitting out front about the time you're leaving for the evening and take a doggy bag/box out to him. He gets a late night snack and you have someone watching your back as you leave.
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #1294
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Well, I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but I don't have to worry much about the law enforcement side of things thanks to my wife's job and our relationship to all aspects of the police and legal system. Our police friends are at the restaurant daily, and we've told them it's ok to use our property for meeting other officers, looking for speeders, and even have them do regular patrols of the place after hours. It is comforting to know that many mornings when I arrive there's a state trooper in the parking lot, and often another hanging around in the evening.

In other news, the producer of that TV show I was talking about got in touch today and they are scheduled to come out and film this Saturday. Going to shoot kind of a behind the scenes thing of me working in the kitchen and at the pit, try some of the food, do an interview, etc. Of course, they want to come right at noon, so that could get a little hectic. But exciting nonetheless.

It's also exciting to be looking at some updated equipment. Found a slightly used Southbend 60" range with a 24" griddle, broiler, and double ovens. That would be a huge upgrade considering we're only working with 3 burners (that operate at less than 100%) and a single oven with just one rack. I never imagined we'd be burning through three full pans of mac and cheese, baked beans, and corn bread daily.

After that, it's time to get an ice machine for the soda fountain. Buying ice daily is becoming a pain. We've only ever run out of ice once, but going to the store and spending $12 a day on ice, then hauling it and loading it just isn't cutting it.

And tea. Holy fark, do people want their tea with BBQ. I figured being this far north, tea wouldn't be a big deal. I was wrong, and when we tell them we don't have tea, they almost always then opt for just water. So I need to get tea in this joint ASAP. I'd love to make my own fresh in-house, but that's added time and introduces another easy contamination source. And then there's the packaged tea that can be dispensed through my coke distributor which is easy and cuts down on the contamination issue, but isn't very authentic since we do everything else in-house.

Oh well, I'll figure something out. But I should probably try to get some sleep since my 80 hour workweek starts in just 7 hours.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #1295
peeps

BBQ drinks = tea or beer down here in Tejas Don't get fountain Lipton tea crap. Brew it. I know it is more work for an already busy staff, but it is worth it...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #1296
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

I find that Gold Peak syrup is generally very good, it is light years better than Brisk

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #1297
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
BBQ drinks = tea or beer down here in Tejas Don't get fountain Lipton tea crap. Brew it. I know it is more work for an already busy staff, but it is worth it...
I'm not a tea drinker, but even I wouldn't use Lipton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
I find that Gold Peak syrup is generally very good, it is light years better than Brisk
Yeah, Gold Peak, that's the one that they mentioned to me. Haven't tried it personally, and I know nothing about tea, so it's a gamble either way.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #1298
peeps

Gold Peak is decent.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #1299
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Luzianne > Lipton if you plan on brewing it yourself and can get the bags in bulk. I don't like any of the pre-made store bought teas. Make sure you have lemon wedges on hand as well for those that like it that way.

If you wanted to invest in a few gallon sized glass jars, you could make sun tea outside in the warmer, sunnier months.
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #1300
Smoking Prof
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwram1 View Post
Luzianne > Lipton if you plan on brewing it yourself and can get the bags in bulk. I don't like any of the pre-made store bought teas. Make sure you have lemon wedges on hand as well for those that like it that way.

If you wanted to invest in a few gallon sized glass jars, you could make sun tea outside in the warmer, sunnier months.
I used to make sun tea outside until I found out about the food safety issues... Now I make refrigerator tea (and I was surprised that I really didn't notice a difference in flavor!). Just my $0.02.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

BTW, congrats on the success of your business!
Smoking Prof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #1301
BrowncoatsBBQ
Found some matches.

Default Let me know

How is the remodel going? I want to hear all about it and let me know where you are located so I can come check it out and eat there. =) I'm hungery
BrowncoatsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #1302
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Get some new 3 gallon lexan buckets with lids. Leave bags in over night and the problem is solved.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #1303
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Here is a discussion with some sweet tea recipes that might be helpful to you.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135658

Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #1304
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I'm not a tea drinker, but even I wouldn't use Lipton.

Yeah, Gold Peak, that's the one that they mentioned to me. Haven't tried it personally, and I know nothing about tea, so it's a gamble either way.
I was surprised to learn you did not have ice tea. I have never been to a BBQ restaurant that did not have it, but I have not eaten much BBQ up north.

Gold Peak is decent and it can be set up for sweet or unsweet. I would suggest that to start. I am a big ice tea drinker, and it amazes me how so many restaurants can screw up ice tea. Gold Peak is not the best, but it is good and I think most would find it acceptable. It would probably fit your self-serve profile the best.

The Lipton fountain version is horrible. Lipton now makes a fake canister that is actually attached to a line like a soft drink fountain and it is only marginally acceptable.

The coffee brewer sellers also make industrial tea bags. Do NOT run the tea bags through the same basket as the coffee - it gives it a coffee taste. Don't carry tea over from one day to the other - it develops a slight rancid taste. Don't use cold brew tea.

I continue to be excited about your success.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1305
landarc

Okay, on the ice maker, do not go too small. Seriously, much like the smoker (and everything else so far apparently) do NOT go too small, you will just be buying heartache. Ice machines have duty cycles, the closer you get to the suggest upper limit, the sooner it breaks down, and it will break down. Get a large, stand up unit, capable of easily producing enough 6 ounce portions of ice for all the tea and soda you sell. Those small ones that are undercounter, and the one that sit on top of the soda machines will fail 3 to 4 times a year under normal soda fountain loads.

I will note that a friend of mine has a store in the middle of one of the worst parts of Oakland, CA, and he has a policy, that coffee and soda was free to police, and if you rolled in at lunch, there was always a lunch on the counter. He never got robbed, not a single time in 40 years of business.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote