Big Celebration and Smoke Planned for the Weekend

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My oldest daughter is graduating High School this Sat.! I'm very proud of her and the lady she has become.......though I'm a bit sad to see her growing up in a nostagic way.

Anyhow, we are planning a celbration for lunch before the graduation that afternoon. Planning on roughly 50 family/friends at the house and I'm planning the largest smoke I've done. I wouldn't mind a little feedback on if I've planned enough 50 people.

I picked up a 16lb brisket at Sams on Tuesday that I plan to smoke in my UDS. I have a 15lb turkey out thawing that I plan to smoke in my Acorn grill. And I'm planning on smoking 4 - 6 racks of St. Louis cut pork spare ribs in my OK Joe vertical smoker (roasting oven).

So is this enough meat to go along with all the other things planned for lunch? Should I go with 4 or 6 racks of ribs?

The brisket will take the longest and I would like to have it done between 8:00-10:00 AM. I'll probably cook at 250F for 2 hours or so (around the stall) then wrap and run around 300F. Any thoughts on the cook time for a 16lb brisket?

Thanks!

I cook all my briskets at 300 they go four hrs unwrapped then I wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper they go probe tender in the thickest part of the flat in 2 hrs or less unlike some things size don't seem to matter much. Congratulations to your daughter! I wouldn't fret her growing up in a few years there will be Gradbabies then the fun really begins Trust me!

Hmmm......maybe I should try a lower temp. Ideally, I would like to pull the brisket at 9:00 AM as that gives me an extra hour or two if needed. If I cook at 275F any experience on how long it would normally take to cook a 16lb brisket? Be nice to put the brisket on early enough I could get a little sleep that night. I plan to get up at 4:00 AM to smoke the ribs and later start the turkey.

Personally, I would skip the ribs and do a butt. Enjoy and congrats on your daughter graduating.

Back