MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Stick Burner Quest

Well guys im on my quest to start researching stick burners and starting a stick burner fund. After seeing everyones rigs and wanting another weapon in my bbq arsenal I have decided a stick burner is in order.

I have been looking around and these are what I have been looking at.

Lang 60" Deluxe

http://langbbqsmokers.com/lang60/lang60_deluxe.html

RK 250 w/ state park grill

http://easttexassmokercompany.com/rk250.html

Peoria 24x72 cooker

http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-...bile-unit.html

Any advice is greatly appriciated.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't cooked on any of those, but if I recall correctly from what I've read around here you'll be in good shape with whichever one you choose. You may want to think about the cost of shipping for each of those, unless you're gonna do the road trip thing (thereby giving you a chance to hit BBQ joints along the way). Southernsmoker has a Lang, and I believe Lakedogs and Snyper77 do as well (along with many other guys), maybe you can hit them up for some insight.

I have a vertical chamber on my Klose BYC similar to the one on the Lang, and it's a great thing to have for keeping things warm, cooler smoking for sausages and bacon, etc. Slide out shelves are great, esp. if you wanna take out the second level and put a piggy in there. It may be easier to turn a pig around with the one continuous door that the Lang has, but then again, the split doors are probably help retaining heat when you're checking on what's cooking in there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I haven't cooked on any of those, but if I recall correctly from what I've read around here you'll be in good shape with whichever one you choose. You may want to think about the cost of shipping for each of those, unless you're gonna do the road trip thing (thereby giving you a chance to hit BBQ joints along the way). Southernsmoker has a Lang, and I believe Lakedogs and Snyper77 do as well (along with many other guys), maybe you can hit them up for some insight.

I have a vertical chamber on my Klose BYC similar to the one on the Lang, and it's a great thing to have for keeping things warm, cooler smoking for sausages and bacon, etc. Slide out shelves are great, esp. if you wanna take out the second level and put a piggy in there. It may be easier to turn a pig around with the one continuous door that the Lang has, but then again, the split doors are probably help retaining heat when you're checking on what's cooking in there.
Thanks GTR Hopfully some of the guys you mentioned will chime in. The peoria would be the cheapest in shippping but it is also the most expensive base model I think I can get more for my money with one of the others. I like the East Texas model due to its custom add ons and large area for coolers and wood. And I already have a 250 gal fuel drum pig cooker, so this would be for anything other than whole animal cooks.

I would probably weigh the options on either shipping or taking a road trip. I would prefer the trip but would go with the cheaper option.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

What would you like to know?

The common aspect is heavy metal. Regardless of manufacturer will be the practical use of radiating thermal energy. The overall heated plate/rolled steel mass will handle a large cold mass (100-200 lbs) better... also more wind resistant compared to a thinner sheet steel.

As to the brand... am a confirmed member of the Lang gang. Started off with a 48 patio... upgraded to the 60. Enjoyed filling it so often upgraded to the 84. Each pit was bought used and made a road trip picking it up myself. (It was the Pretty Good BBQ event which I saw (3) Langs loaded to the max and proved its mettle to me)

Check www.searchtempest.com often, and this time of the year is a good opportunity for a choice pit.

Here is a pic of the following year - 4 Langs

The Lang proves its worth with the reverse flow design - reducing hotspots too.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Confirmed member of the Lang Gang, I think I own the oldest one, first generation 84, but they didnt call it an 84, they called it an 1160... I LOVE my Lang, particularly because of the reverse flow design. I've used other non-reverse-flow and I just wasn't as happy with the evenness of the heat and smoke distribution as I am with my Lang.

That said, I live VERY close to Lonnie (aka. Bubba) of Bubba Grills. He makes a fantastic reverse flow offset smoker that is very similar to Lang in most every aspect, and generally is a little less expensive. Honestly, I've sold many of Lonnie's smokers. I have no reservation whatsoever recommending his smokers. www.bubbagrills.net
FYI: All the ones mentioned above have not only been tested by plenty of back-yard enthusiast smokers, but have been proven winners on the competition circuit as well. Lonnie himself won Memphis In May ribs category 2 years ago and competes with his own standard models. I've competed against him and I've also judged him on-site many times. He and his smokers are awesome.

Some day I'll probably have a Stumps stretch cabinet smoker. I do enjoy that set-it-and-forget-it aspect. However, frankly, there is no substitute for the flavor of meat that comes off of a true wood burning offset smoker, IMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 01-04-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
What would you like to know?

The common aspect is heavy metal. Regardless of manufacturer will be the practical use of radiating thermal energy. The overall heated plate/rolled steel mass will handle a large cold mass (100-200 lbs) better... also more wind resistant compared to a thinner sheet steel.

As to the brand... am a confirmed member of the Lang gang. Started off with a 48 patio... upgraded to the 60. Enjoyed filling it so often upgraded to the 84. Each pit was bought used and made a road trip picking it up myself. (It was the Pretty Good BBQ event which I saw (3) Langs loaded to the max and proved its mettle to me)

Check www.searchtempest.com often, and this time of the year is a good opportunity for a choice pit.

Here is a pic of the following year - 4 Langs

The Lang proves its worth with the reverse flow design - reducing hotspots too.

Should have had Bandit on the list, but I look at his siggy and all I see is the Klose.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
JD McGee

We are saving up for a Jambo Economy or R&O...liking the idea of the insulated firebox...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I've cooked on many a stick burner and there are none better than a Jambo.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Wampus

Can't argue with the nods toward the Jambo.
We cook on an economy and it's the exact same firebox and cook chamber as the J-3 and J-5. UBER fuel efficient. We cook for hours and hours on just an armload of logs and we do it at 300+.

Congrats on the stick burner choice though. You're gonna love the journey.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Truthfully, many a proud stickburner owner, even the uber-nuts like me, have at least a little bit of Jambo-envy. :-)
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Stickburners are great... or buy a PBC.

XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

PM TuscaloosaQ and see what he can do. He will be thousands less than Lang and the quality will be second to none.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Boshizzle

I used to own a Lang 60 but had to let it go because I just didn't need two stick burners and the Lang was more marketable because it was on a trailer and more suited to catering. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Lang if I had the need. They are great smokers and very well made.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Confirmed member of the Lang Gang, I think I own the oldest one, first generation 84, but they didnt call it an 84, they called it an 1160... I LOVE my Lang, particularly because of the reverse flow design. I've used other non-reverse-flow and I just wasn't as happy with the evenness of the heat and smoke distribution as I am with my Lang.

That said, I live VERY close to Lonnie (aka. Bubba) of Bubba Grills. He makes a fantastic reverse flow offset smoker that is very similar to Lang in most every aspect, and generally is a little less expensive. Honestly, I've sold many of Lonnie's smokers. I have no reservation whatsoever recommending his smokers. www.bubbagrills.net
FYI: All the ones mentioned above have not only been tested by plenty of back-yard enthusiast smokers, but have been proven winners on the competition circuit as well. Lonnie himself won Memphis In May ribs category 2 years ago and competes with his own standard models. I've competed against him and I've also judged him on-site many times. He and his smokers are awesome.

Some day I'll probably have a Stumps stretch cabinet smoker. I do enjoy that set-it-and-forget-it aspect. However, frankly, there is no substitute for the flavor of meat that comes off of a true wood burning offset smoker, IMHO.
Thanks I checked him out I really like what I saw from his website except for no prices. But I contacted him for a price list. Being I let my membership expire I can find TuscaloosaQ to contact him so maybe he will see the thread at some point and chime in, hi work looks great as well. The Jambo and other pit makers from Texas have great work, but the more I think about it thats a long way to Ohio so the road trip or shipping would be expensive. Ive got family in Georgia so that wouldnt be a bad trip.

Im not really stuck on the Brand game. I just want a good efficient stick burner on a trailer that is also versitle with room for other options as well. I have plenty of time to figure it all out. Im a year or so out from being able to make anything happen. I just like to do lots of research to make sure im getting the best option for my needs and budget.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I want to start off by thanking Lake Dogs for reccomending such a wonderful guy to work with on a pit build. After talking it over with the wife we made the decision to go with a maxed out 250 reverse flow from Lonnie at Bubba Grills.

The wife gave me the approval to buy it as long as I can wait 2 years for our 5 year wedding anniversary. The other stipulation is we have to visit Savanna for a couple days and renew our vowels in Savanna. Then of to cook in a competition with the Bubba Grill Team and pick up my new cooker.

I think its a good trade off I get my cooker and the wife gets her ceremony in Savanna.