New pit, which one?

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey.

I already have two Primo Oval XL + a small Weber kettle and I want more:)

Live in Norway (Europe) and we dont have much to choose from here so thats why Im asking you guys.

Have been checking out Ole Hickory Ace MM and I really like what I read/videos except the price and i`m not really sure about the fan, too much electronics and that I have to use AC. How long will this last before something has to be changed?

Does anyone have a Ole Hickory smoker?

Do you guys have another alternatives to the Ole Hickory? I don`t want gas or pellets, only charcoal or wood.

I probably have to get it shipped overseas and it will not be cheap but I really want and "need" one more:)

Looking forward to hear what you guys have to say.

Last edited:
IMnotalwaysHO

I think, you will not beat the quality of old hickory. I do not have one myself. The only thing I would recommend for a similar price and capacity would be a Humphrey's cabinet. No one seems to be disappointed with them. I would also say that an ABS Barbecube (for less money) would hold large amount of food and give you versatility to smoke or grill. I have seen the ABS and a Humphrey's in person but do not own them.

Maybe I will buy a stickburner in a few years but for now I’m looking for something like the ole hickory. Probably have to go with charcoal as the main fuel since we don’t have that much wood to choose from. Also don’t have time to use a stickburner much with small kids +++.

Is there any other smokers that look alike the Ole Hickory and has the same features but don’t cost that much?

I think, you will not beat the quality of old hickory. I do not have one myself. The only thing I would recommend for a similar price and capacity would be a Humphrey's cabinet. No one seems to be disappointed with them. I would also say that an ABS Barbecube (for less money) would hold large amount of food and give you versatility to smoke or grill. I have seen the ABS and a Humphrey's in person but do not own them.

Get a Gateway Drum. They have dealers in Europe.

Forget what I said. They have the right idea! Unless you are looking to add to your collection because you need more space on one cooker, this would be the way to go. And, you will ultimately be adding more space with the extra cooker. These make some of the best bbq! I have a UDS and like it a lot. If you can find a Gateway Drum dealer close, it would rock!

If that Ole Hickory is within your budget, you should have plenty options. If they have local dealers, then I wouldn't worry about all the electrical stuff because getting replacment parts if needed shouldn't be a big deal. They seem like really good pits.

If you have a decent local supply of hardwood, then a stick burner would be great. If it is better to use charcoal and wood chunks, then a cabinet type smoker would be great. Just shop all of the usual suspects (Lone Star, Humpries etc) and find the best deal including importing.

Ok, you want charcoal, which you have pretty well covered. So what capability do you want to add?

I really like how the ole hickory looks (cabinet) and how much space it has. I does not seem to need much work while cooking and when it also uses charcoal I thought it would be a great choice until I saw the price and al the electric components.

Also thought the ole hickory has much space for smoking and thought I’d be using the primo for searing meat and vegetables.

Last edited:
Back