MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Standard baffel plate material is usually 1/4"material But... 3/16 will work fine it is defiently not going to burn out on a reverse flow. 1/4" radiates heat a little more. As far as the gap it needs to be at least equal to the square inches of the cutout going into the cook chamber from firebox to keep from interrupting flow in my opinion!!!
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Just make sure you have more exhaust than intake and you will be fine.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Tough old man
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
Just make sure you have more exhaust than intake and you will be fine.
Are you talking if I use 1 or 2 -- 6" pipes?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I might be over thinkin this, so feel free to ignore me. What's the old saying "be careful of free advice, you only get what you pay for". Anyhow, I needed a brain teaser this afternoon and I am truly sympathetic to using what you have on hand to work with.
Here goes:

I have about 50 square inches of connection to my firebox. I didn't do any profound preplanning or calcs, that's just what I wound up with. My math says two 6 inch pipes would give you 56.5 square inches of connection (you know pie-r-squared).

My tuning plate is 17.5 inches X (up to) 60 inches or 1050 square inches providing radiant heat (the way I did mine I can do less but not more). Two 6 inch pipes, assuming you only take credit for the top half of each pipe gives you 1140 square inches for a 60 inch length (circumference = pie X diameter X 1/2 cause I'm only taking credit for the top 1/2 of the pipe X 2 cause you have 2 pipes).

My smoker works for me, I get good even heat distribution, helped a lot by the radiant heat and I can cook anywhere from 200*-375*. Given the similarity of the numbers, I think two 6 inch pipes, something like 48 to 60 inches should be pretty equivalent. In your situation, I would try the pipes.

To Zin's point, I think he's talking about getting the right exhaust and intake balance. Let's assume you want to use some of the same 6 inch pipe for your exhaust, you will have about 28 square inches of exhaust. Some of us believe in controlling the fire at the intake, so you only need up to 28 square inches of intake to be able to get a clean burn and control nasty smoke. Zin can correct me if I've missed his point.

OK, now my head hurts. I'm gonna make a wild turkey rocks & feed the cows while everyone else double checks my math and offers alternative suggestions. GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Tough old man

I'm not going to run pipe all the way down. Just a big inlet. So now for a reverse smoker i need a plate (baffle) Well I ran into another problem. For a plate here in Mexico (Steel plate) they only come in 4' x 10' sheets. Way to heavy to handle. What do some of you think about using CERAMIC TILE. Tile is cheap down here and can be replace when needed. 18" x 18" x 3/8" $1.01 ea.......Will they work?.........I have a commercial tile cutter, so no problem cutting them to size needed.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough old man View Post
I looked at your pics. nice set up. Did you end up welding those plates together?

I could put in 2 6" pipes and drill holes in them all the way down starting with smaller holes going up if you think that would work. I know they wouldn't give off as much heat but will it be enough to do the trick.

I live in Baja, Mexico and everything you purchase is in full lengths meaning I would have to buy a 4' x 8' sheet of plating. LOL, I'm 70 yrs old 6' 255 lb weightlifter and stronger then a team of goats, but a 4 x 8 x 1/4" is not going to be the lightest to move around by yourself.....
One thing I can say about my setup is I agree with Tuscaloosa.

I think I get a lot of my heat radiating from the plates. I know when I open my cooking chamber door, after I close it the heat recovers very quickly. the plates are 1/4"

Does take a long time to heat up when I first light it, but thats the nature of the beast.

I also took HD foil to seal those little triangular areas off.

I have read that ceramic tile works good. But use unfinished tile. Thats what I read anyway
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Default Reverse smoker. Pipe vs Steel Plate

My reverse smoker has tuning plates. They completely cover the bottom of my 7 foot pit except for the last 10 inches. I use 3 plates that are 1/4" thick. I butt team all the way against the fire box. System works great. I see no need to weld plate in place. Slide them in, put a handle I the top of them do you can put a poker in and adjust the tune to your liking.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Default Reverse smoker. Pipe vs Steel Plate

Go to a welding shop. They will sell you a partial sheet.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Tough old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Go to a welding shop. They will sell you a partial sheet.
Baja Mexico is not commercialized like the U.S. Trying to find a welding shop down here will be very difficult.

I was in San Diego the other day and found a scrap yard that sells its steel for .50 a lb. They have a sheet 45" x 60". Says that weighs about 190 lbs. So that would be $95. Does that sound expensive or about the normal price?