MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
RolandVanOwen
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default First time father-son cold smoke. Looking for last minute advice

So I bought my Dad a 18" AMNTS for Christmas and we are looking to do our first cold smoke tomorrow. I have done a little amateur hot smoking but this will be the first cold smoke for both of us (his first smoke ever.) We are planning to do eggs (hen and quail,) sausages, cheese, and nuts with apple pellets. I've got a decent handle on what we want to do but I thought I'd run it by the community for any advice:

Eggs-Following this recipe for the prep. 3 hrs for the hen eggs, 1-1.5 for the quail. Is that too little or too much?

Sausages-I got a few cocktail franks and kielbasas to smoke. I chose only those with nitrates added. Is this a necessary precaution? How long should these be left on?

Cheese-Bought some cheddar, gouda, string cheeses and Babybels. Just gonna throw 'em on and leave 'em for about 3 hrs. I was thinking about cutting the cheese (ha) to increase surface area, but I'm worried this might dry out the cheese. Thoughts?

Nuts-I got some raw almonds and cashews and was just going to spread them out over cheese cloth and stir every so often. Any suggestions on how long they should be smoked for? Any spices that could/should be added? Also, I've read somewhere that they should be soaked in water prior to smoking, is this necessary?

We are also planning on smoking some kosher salt just 'cause. (1-2 hrs in an aluminum pan, stirring every so often.) We will be cold smoking apple pellets with the AMNTS on a (cold) gas grill with the hood closed. Outside temp will be mid-30s.

I am new to the forum and new to smoking so any advice, hints, or good luck would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for being such a great community!
RolandVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

I can only offer advice on the cheese. I cut mine into smaller pieces so the surface area is greater, just like you mentioned. That definitely works. I'd also suggest trying 2 hrs for the cheese first. That should get you plenty of smoke.....

Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I can only speak to the cheese as well. I did my first cold smoke of cheese, with the blocks cut, about 6 weeks ago. I left the cheese on for 3 hours and wish I would have started with 1.5-2hrs. It depends on how smokey you like your cheese, but I would start slow to see what you like.

Be sure to take pics to share with the group. I never thought about cold smoking sausages. Also, google "cowgirl cold smoke" and you will get some ideas from her site. Good luck. Enjoy the family time.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like a day of bonding.

I have never done eggs, let us know how the turn out.

Smoked Paprika is really good.

As far a cold smoking in the grill, if the top does not have an exhaust vent, I would vent it by leaving the hood open about 3/4 of an inch.

If you find a large enough cardboard box you could even place this over the open grill with a couple 1" in the top. The idea is to allow the smoke to pass around the food to flavor it as it passes through the smoking chamber.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, cold, cold smoke, cold smoking, eggs, Nuts, Smoking