I've been using a half full chimney lit on a burner to fire off my drum, but I'm a drumhead newbie and may not know what I'm doing ....

When I used a chimney on the drum I always got a face full of sparks and dumped it on one side of basket. No problem with weed burner. I use chimney set up for my Spicewine.

Attach a Handle to your basket, dump in chimney o' coals outside the Drum.
Wear Good Heavy Gloves and place it into Drum....No Problem:-D
attachment.php

Attach a Handle to your basket, dump in chimney o' coals outside the Drum.
Wear Good Heavy Gloves and place it into Drum....No Problem:-D
attachment.php

Yep. Made my handle out of safety wire. You just as easily use coat hanger wire. No need to be fancy its a UDS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my UDS is just about finished. All that is left to do is drill a few more holes (and fill with stainless steel bolts) to give me a choice grill heights, some handles on the sides, a thermometer and a decent fire basket and then she'll be ready to season.

It's been facinating reading through this thread. The top tip for me was using a stepped drill bit which was just so easy to use, even for me!

A big thank you to all that contributed to this thread which inspired me to build this over here in London, United Kingdom.

Here is a pic

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/Picture_003.jpg

It has been fun buildng but I'm sure it'll be better cooking and eating

thanks

shahsy

Somewhere in this thread is a few photos from a person who made a basket from a sheet of expanded wire...

the basket was done without welding and the sides folded up at angles.
was a very detailed post even showed how to cut the corners of the sheet to fold it up.
anybody know where the post is...I can't find it.

nice try...butnot what I was looking for...

there is a post somewhere where somebody took a flat sheet cut the corners and folded them up .....and had angle sides in the more of a shape of a box..not a circle.
You're looking for the build that the person used a wooden templet then folded the sides up right?

30 gallon vs 55 gallon?

I have searched but cannot find the answer. Is it possible to convert a 30 gallon drum to a UDS? Do the plans exist?

Thanks

Plans?

Drill some intake air holes in the bottom.
Drill some exhaust air holes in the lid.
Put in 3 bolts to hold a rack
Rig (or buy) up some kind of charcoal basket.

Then cook.

OPtions:
Valve on intake
Thermometers
Beer Bottle Opener.

My next one will be a 30g for a neighbor that just want to cook a pork butt or a brisket now and then. I'll try and use a Smokey Joe lid so I can put the rack at the tippy-top.

Plans?

Drill some intake air holes in the bottom.
Drill some exhaust air holes in the lid.
Put in 3 bolts to hold a rack
Rig (or buy) up some kind of charcoal basket.

Then cook.

OPtions:
Valve on intake
Thermometers
Beer Bottle Opener.

My next one will be a 30g for a neighbor that just want to cook a pork butt or a brisket now and then. I'll try and use a Smokey Joe lid so I can put the rack at the tippy-top.

yeah, I did some web searches for measurements. I think the bullet brinkmann may work. OK, if I can get this barrel off craigslist I'm all over it.

Will report back with results

With all the talk of diffusers I decided to build one for the heck of it and give it a try on Half Pint under two silverside's today.

The plate is stainless and sits on top of the fire basket and has several 3/4" holes in it. I chose 3/4 because I want the drippings to get through yet defuse a small amount of the heat.

amcyhf.jpg

igytk5.jpg

se1y.jpg

Nice work. You could use it for a lolipop rack. Come to think of it no one has made those in awhile.

Back