MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
bbrewster
Found some matches.

Default CL find....any hope of rehabbing?

Folks,

I have a Bubba Keg that I love but I am absoultely OBSSESSED with BBq these days and want another one. But I am on a limited budget. Thinking of building a UDS but I came across this smoker on CL. Not sure what he is asking but I wonder if it is even worth calling on. I have NO welding skills so I am not even sure what I would do with it (i.e. puts legs on it). But it seems like a lot of the dirty work has been done.

I will say from the pics, it looks like the door is in a odd position...almost too high like you would be looking in from the top.

Thoughts anyone?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/for/1990524613.html

Cheers!
Brad
bbrewster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Depends on what he's asking, but it seems like an awesome platform to start with. With little to no fabrication skills you might run into some road blocks pretty quickly though.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Howdy Neighbor!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Tracenbec
Found some matches.

I agree with the price being part of the question, but if reasonable, heck yes that is a great starter platform

T
Tracenbec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If the price is good all you need is someone to do some welding. I would bet you could find someone close by that could give you an affordable deal. With proper planning it could be done in a day which shouldn't set you back too much. Even try to trade out some bbq.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

He is asking $1100. I looked at that when he posted it a month ago.

For the work and the money...... I passed.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
He is asking $1100. I looked at that when he posted it a month ago.

For the work and the money...... I passed.
For that kind of money it should at least be finished. Way too much, in my opinion.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
The drunken pig
Got Wood.

He is smoking crack!

No flippin way, I bought a vertical smoker that I converted into a gravity fed for 300 bucks of ebay. The thing is 1/4 plate and 3/8 around the fire box area.

Welding is really pretty simple. I bought a good welder off cl for 250 and taught myself how to weld. The welds started out being ugly but I got much better as I went on. Also the ugly wells were still strong welds just not the prettiest I have ever seen. Built my own metal grills too, they turned out nice.

Also look at local scrap metal shops. I found the 1/4 steel square tube for my charcoal chute for less than 30 bucks. Scrounging around there you might even find an old smoker that someone sold for scrap.

Building a smoker is a great way to get into welding. I could build a spicewine or a backwoods, or stumps, now easy.

I did have a local sheet metal shop cut my metal panels for me and that made it much easier.
The drunken pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
bbrewster
Found some matches.

Thanks folks for the feedback....I may just stick with building a UDS. To tell you the truth, I am not even sure why I need a second smoker other than the rational that if ONE smoker is fun...TWO ought to be even better!

Hawg Father....thanks for divulging the price....that is CRAAAAAZY! I would have thought $100-$200.

I will keep looking!

To my Brethren in Northwest Arkansas...let me know if you have something affordable that could be made into a smoker....or a source for a cheap drum!

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
The drunken pig
Got Wood.

If you had a spicewine, stumps or superior an UDS is a must have.

Really the best smoker on the planet for the money. Mine does double duty as smoker and a grill.
The drunken pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewster View Post

To my Brethren in Northwest Arkansas...let me know if you have something affordable that could be made into a smoker....or a source for a cheap drum!

Thanks!
On 265 in Springdale, across from the rodeo grounds, the car wash guy sells food grade, banded lid barrels for $15. Less for less barrel.

Just picked up a 25 inch by 7 foot propane tank that I am building a smoker out of. I think I am going to "bolt on" my bandara. Then I will have the ultimate modded bandara. HAWAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

Picked it up for $125 off CL. It would be two smokers for any sane person.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
bbrewster
Found some matches.

Thanks Hawg Father....that is a good lead for a drum. Have you built a UDS? I could use a good local "consultant" for the project. It may be my winter project for me (along with a lengthly honey-do list).

Your Bandera modification sounds awesome! A little too much for smoker for me but nonetheless...it sounds awesome!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

PM sent. Dayum straight we will make you a smoker.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle corn View Post
For that kind of money it should at least be finished. Way too much, in my opinion.

I agree, to much money for not being finished,

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
shdybrady
On the road to being a farker

I dont like how the smoke stack is even with the door. thas something you will have to fix immediately
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote