Kcbs Members?

Are you a member of the KCBS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assume you're being straight - so here's a str8 answer.

KCBS stands for the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the group that regulates most of the BBQ contests in america.

So how would joining benefit me as I am not good enough to even think about competing?

ggeilman said:
So how would joining benefit me as I am not good enough to even think about competing?

Nothing against KCBS Might make good reading material for the potty.

I was a member for many years. One year I just did not renew. Nothing against KCBS--inertia I guess. I was not competing but I liked to keep up with the news, and know where and when the comps were. I attended quite a few as a spectator, and had friends competing.

I guess I also liked the bumper sticker and the membership card, sort of a bragging thing, and I felt as though I was helping the cause with my dues.

There are a few guys I know who took the judging class and haven't gotten anything back yet...its been months...they aren't too happy about it!

C-Town Smoker said:
There are a few guys I know who took the judging class and haven't gotten anything back yet...its been months...they aren't too happy about it!

That's the reps problem - I attended one in mid-October and had my shirt, badge, etc in time to judge the mid-November event in Plant City, FL.

If the rep and/or trainer don't have their act together KCBS doesn't have a chance of getting the stuff mailed out.

I'm a little dissapointed to see the second choice here. If you don't like KCBS, why have this pole?

drbbq said:
I'm a little dissapointed to see the second choice here. If you don't like KCBS, why have this pole?

I do like the KCBS I am trying to see how many of the brethren belong to the KCBS. Next part is to find out how we can get more people to join the KCBS.

We have 1500 people here, maybe 600 active at anyone time. 600 people would be a big boost to the KCBS. Both the BBQ-Brethren and the KCBS are trying to do the same thing.

Some people have had bad experiences with different parts of the KCBS so they will not join again. I'll not join Tout's Unlimited again unless they change the way they move money from local to state level. Sounds childish but that’s the way I feel.

C-Town Smoker said:

I took the class in early June of this year and it took a while (1.5 to 2 months maybe?) to get my stuff too. The badge, sticker, certificate, etc. came in the mail first then I got my shirts a short while later.

Even for non-competetors, the KCBS monthly BullSheet is a good read.
Well worth the price by itself, IMHO.
Has reviews, recipies, articles, and (of course) ads.
Not totally about competetion, but BBQ.
It has a printed version of the competetion schedule to help find one in your area to viisit (better version on-line).
And, members can vote for the Board of Directors.

FWIW

TIM

ggeilman,

If you don't think your Q is good why not try judging? It's really alot of fun. Most Q you judge at a contest is better than you can get at a resturant. Alot of teams were formed by guys who were judges first. It will give you an indication of how your Q stacks up against others. I still think you are being modest and your Q is better than you let on.

Will give it a thought then. Money is still kinda tight as the wife has been off work for the last 5 months.

Back