Smoked Clod > Chili > Chili Balls

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So last weekend we had a meat sale at a local grocer and I picked up a 19 lb choice shoulder clod....and I made the mistake of smoking it like a brisket instead of cooking it to medium rare....
IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

Was so frustrated that I didn't get any pics of the finished product...
What to do with all that pulled beef?

Make Chili...amoung other things..

And what's better than Chili??

Chili Balls...inspired by the Chili-On-A-Stick thread I read on here some time ago...

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

These are AWESOME...think Hushpuppie stuffed with Chili...

For the Chili...I just used what sounded good...
Here's the cornbread batter recipe I used:
2 cups Cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water (+ or - for thickness)
1 egg
Mix all dry components then add buttermilk & water then beat in the egg.

I used ice cube trays the first go around and filled them up with chili (sprayed with PAM first) but the batter was done way before the chili was thawed...so I made another batch filling the ice cube holes up only 2/3's full instead of completely full...this worked out great...

I prepped 64 tonight to take to our tailgate party tomorrow....
Thanks to all of you who contributed to the Chili-on-a-stick thread!

NICE!! Deep fried chili balls.........gotta try those!! Looking good. I'd hit it.

Shoot that looks great! Nice job!:cool:

Hmmmmm........................;}-

Ya know S&B,I thought I had a grip on tomorrow's party for the God-son. Then Trish walks in and sees this Chili Ball thingy and NOW she wants to do some of them for tomorrow too!:confused:
Thanks;but they do look good.......:redface:
Post my endeavor :rolleyes:
Happy Smokes
Stan aka old school

Great looking chili balls. Excellent idea! Now you got me doing a search for the chili on a stick thread.

I've tried this and had trouble with the batter breaking apart then having a mess of chili in oil. Your batter must have been much thicker than mine.

Yours look great!! I may try again with your batter recipe

The exact reason I'm joining this site! Those look amazing. That is a must try! ASAP

JA

Those look awesome - it's 36 degrees here in N.E. Ohio so I already am experiencing Chilli Balls :eek:

Outstanding and those chili balls look delicious; gotta try those soon.

Good God

I blame you people for the 20+ lbs me and my family have put on since being on this site. I hope your happy (cause we sure the hell are). On my way to the store to get what I need to make these. Maybe wrap them in bacon and go into cardiac arrest.

Back