Hunting for a new grill

Deslock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am in a quandry (sp?), I am still brand-spankin' new to the forum, but I'm looking for some outside opinions. I am in the market for a new grill, and I am stuck, I keep going back bwtween the Char griller Duo 5050, or the Akorn. I was deadset on the 5050 for the sole purpose of being able to use the gas side in the winter, pretty much exclusively, but while researching I came across that monster thread here on the Akorn, and have shifted towards wanting a Kamado style cooker. Now as I see it in the winter those things will hold heat WAY better than any regular gas grill ever could, and the idea of pizzas, and slow cooks on it in general intrigue me. I am currently in the middle of a fairly big house project so the BGE & Kamado Joe are a little out of reach, but I figured the Akorn will A: be a great learning tool & B: produce some awesome food.
So! With all things being equal (including the price, in this instance), any suggestions on which way I should lean? I am probably going to wait till closer to Memorial Day when the sales hit, but thought I would begin shopping for alternate views early and I am sure there are users of both grills around here somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

I had the CharGriller Akorn since it first came out and absolutely love it. You can cook anyway you want on the thing from low and slow to hot and fast. Highly recomend it. Also go here for tons of info on it.

http://mancavemeals.net/the-akorn/

I did alot of his mods for different style cooking and love it. Also highly recomend thier smoking stone as a accessary. It is wonderful for the low and slow styles.

After coming to this site and esp seeing Dub from GA's posts; the minute I see the Akorn on sale I am buying it. The very next minute my wife -more than likely - will leave me.

I have been very impressed with those cookers.

That's what I am thinking... well, apart from the leaving part....I just fear I am going to buy it then want to replace it next year...out of curiosity, do any of the KJ/BGE accesories fit it? My Google-Fu is mighty, but I've had no luck getting results for that question. I actually found out about the Akorn through here, I saw it in Lowes & didn't think much about it, then decided to look it up & it led me here where I saw the vids, which led me to the Man Cave Meals site. I just mainly want to make sure I don't talk myself out of getting it (an Akorn).

Go get it today. You will not be disappointed! Oh...put it together yourself. Many who had it done in store complained about leaks. I did it myself and never had to do any of the mods to correct for air leaks.

Kamado Joe would be my choice. :wink: Have you considered a Vision kamado from Costco?

I have a Vision from Costco for almost a year and use it several times a week. It works very well on both ends of the spectrum, low/slow to 1200 degree sears. The customer support is also very good for questions and tips

No Costco's in Oklahoma... the closest equivalent might be the Outdoor Gourmet model that Academy sells, it retails for 499.00 but the floor model they have out has chips in it that make me think it's ceramic is not of the highest quality, I'd be better off with the Akorn than that one I think.

No experience with the Akorn. People who have them seem to love them though. I however, have a broil king keg. From seeing the Akorn on the display at Lowe's it seems nice, just not as heavily built as the Keg. Kind of "Keg Lite". Kegs are just hard to find, but come with some nice accessories. I do have one of the Char Grillers. Not the Duo, just charcoal. I have not used it since I purchased the Keg and will probably sell it.

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg/keg-4000.html

Last edited:
Back