MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Default Acorn now or ceramic later

I'm really jonesing for a Kamodo style cooker right now, I'd really like a Kamodo Joe but don't know if I can swing it financially right now. Plan B would be an Acorn, they seem to be a good deal and owners seem happy with them and the cook results. What say ye, brethren? Should I go for the instant gratification and get the reliable Acorn or should I save my coins and wait for the ceramic master grill? Patience is NOT a virtue.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Find a way to get the one you really want. You'll Aiways wonder if you made the right choice.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another option is Craigslist. I got my Large Big Green Egg for $300.

Worth the patience it takes.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

You already have a WSM and a OTG. I know it's hard, but I'd wait.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I own two Akorns (one still in the box) and still want a ceramic.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Tax season is coming up.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'm not one for settling for something. I've done that before and I've always felt I've thrown money away.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
KingofTheCoals
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Great thing about the akorn. You're not gonna baby it or worry about breaking it. 700+ no problem, low n slow... no problem. If I spent 800-1200 on a ceramic kamado, I wouldn't be willing to crank it up to high (worrying about cracked fireboxes). Just my two cents.

Only you know what ........you want.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I really like my Akorn, I will say it's a steppin stone smoker to wheres I'll own a ceramic in the future(not near), I'll learn what to do and what not to do with my Akorn and it's 300 bucks

Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Wait, a deal will come up.

I got a Primo Oval XL right here for 500 + a brisket!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get the Akorn and watch CL like a hawk for deals on a ceramic. You might be able to get both for the price of one and have the best of both worlds. Instant gratification and then one your really want in the future.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

They make credit cards for a reason....LoL

I'd wait it out or just try to make it work right now for the one you want. You'll regret if if you settle now for the one you can "afford".

I'm SO happy with my Kamado Joe which i was lucky enough to buy on sale, 200$ off.

Last edited by Dirtbuddy; 01-10-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Dirtbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I've wanted a ceramic kamado for the past few years. Earlier this year I heard about the Akorns.

I bought one and learned the ins and out of kamado cooking and have turned out some great food for my family. I'm a fan of these grills.

That being said....I'm wanting something larger at this time. I've been making great steps to become healthier....gym, better rest and eating right.

I've weaned myself off fast food and the cafeteria at work.

I need a larger grill that I can fire up on Sundays and cook my food for the work week.

I'm thinking the XL BGE is the ticket for me.

The Akorn did sell my wife on the quality of the food that comes off the kamado. It was easy to control temps and retain moisture.

The Akorn will be nice to have, in addition to the larger grill, because it's so light and portable. I can throw it in the bed of the truck with ease and take it to friends houses and etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I bought my Akorn to use at the restaurant. I needed a insulated smoker and couldn't afford a Spicewine yet. I have a small BGE and use that when I have time. With you living in CA, you really don't need the mass to hold the heat like we do in colder climates. I have had great success cooking butts and brisket overnight. I put them on at 9 pm before I leave and they are done when someone gets there at 9 am. Even though the Akorn does not have the mass like the ceramics it is a very efficient cooker. The thing I really like about the Akorn is how the ashes are cleaned out of the smoker. You basically take the detachable bottom off and dump it. Check that feature out on one that is set up.

If you want one right now, go with the Akorn and save for a larger size ceramic. I hope they make the Akorn in a bigger size. I would get one.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I bought my Akorn to use at the restaurant. I needed a insulated smoker and couldn't afford a Spicewine yet. I have a small BGE and use that when I have time. With you living in CA, you really don't need the mass to hold the heat like we do in colder climates. I have had great success cooking butts and brisket overnight. I put them on at 9 pm before I leave and they are done when someone gets there at 9 am. Even though the Akorn does not have the mass like the ceramics it is a very efficient cooker. The thing I really like about the Akorn is how the ashes are cleaned out of the smoker. You basically take the detachable bottom off and dump it. Check that feature out on one that is set up.

If you want one right now, go with the Akorn and save for a larger size ceramic. I hope they make the Akorn in a bigger size. I would get one.

I really don't like the removable bottom portion....as it adds yet another seal to be concerned with. Fortunately it's a large area that doesn't have to be dumped all that often.

A larger Akorn would be a decent seller, I'd bet.