Anyone got a good Dumpling recipe?

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
wife has requested chicken and dumplings for supper. the problem is most of my dumplings always cook away. There good but just don't end ou with many dumplings.:confused:

For quick, break cheap "Not Flaky" bisquits into 3s, dredge in seasoned flour, boil, yes boil them in chicken or turkey stock with extra pepper, and salt as needed. Easy and edible.

all good dumplings are going to start with boiling potatoes and putting them through a ricer, then adding flour and eggs

1 1/2 c Riced potatoes
-- (freshly cooked) 1/2 ts Salt
2 Eggs; beaten
1/4 c Farina
1 1/2 c Flour
Add salt and eggs to riced potatoes and combine farina and flour. Mix and knead.

I'd have to ask my mother or aunt but I think the potatoes need to be cooled after ricing.
You can roll this dough out into a 1/4" thick layer cut into squares and fill before dropping in boiling water. My favorite-plums.

Last edited:
wife has requested chicken and dumplings for supper. the problem is most of my dumplings always cook away. There good but just don't end ou with many dumplings.:confused:
My Old Lady will make dumplins that el make you tounge beat yer brains out. I'll just have to talk her into turning loose of it.:wink:

Try this.

Make the biscitdough
cut in 1/4 cup lard into 2 cups flour, then add 3/4 cup buttermilk.
Knead til stiff, roll into dumplins.

And Enjoy.

Guess the question is what kind of dumplings?
I have heard of two kinds - drop dunplings - like bisquik, and slippery dumplings, shich are more noodle like - but not quite....
So - did you have chicken and dumplings for supper?

MY wife use Bisqiick they are really fluffy she cook them in cream of chicken and broth but lot of people like the flat type cook with chicken. when i get home i try to find one in our church cook book. Most Baptist are good dumpling makers

I use these...

MaryBs-Dumplings.gif

They're in the freezer section of most gricery stores and at Wal Mart. It's kinda like Mama mary's pizza crust...Just too easy and too good not to use them.

Dumplins

Forget the biscuit type just get the frozen type at Wal-mart & you will think your Grandma made them from scratch if you get your chicken broth right.

I've found the key to getting noodle-type dumplings to hold together is to let the air dry for an hour before adding them to the stock. The drying process skins them over somewhat and makes them better able to withstand the liquid without breaking up.

You still need to watch them carefully and not overcook though. Simmer a newspaper in chicken stock long enough and it's gonna break down. ;)

I've got a cookbook of nothing but C&D's. :cool:

But I usually just use the Bisquick recipe. :biggrin:

I use these...

MaryBs-Dumplings.gif

They're in the freezer section of most gricery stores and at Wal Mart. It's kinda like Mama mary's pizza crust...Just too easy and too good not to use them.

yup, just add chicken, a few eggs and your favorite seasoning!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Guess the question is what kind of dumplings?
I have heard of two kinds - drop dunplings - like bisquik, and slippery dumplings, shich are more noodle like - but not quite....
So - did you have chicken and dumplings for supper?

Yes I did, I only changed one thing in my mix. I used water instead of milk and they held together. Finished the pot off for last nights supper.

But there is one reply here I just got to try.:cool:

I have done Mary Bees, they are okay. Better the next day, plump up better.

Back