MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #211
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C. View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what size is the grate? CharGriller's site doesn't like my ipad.
I believe it is a 19.5" diameter.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #212
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Today, I'm hopefully gonna cook a pizza. I'm also going to do the 225° test since I'm getting a lot of questions about cooking at that magic number. The 225 test video will also show most of the mods I did to the air intake and ash pan with some RTV Silicone to help seal up the air leaks.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #213
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

I have 2 5.5 lb chickens on right now and 5 people showing up at my house in 1 hour. Man I am sweating it right now seeing how this is the first time I have cooked whole chickens on the cooker. I just went back and reviewed your vids over and over and I am holding steady at 380 so I here is to hoping they turn out well! Thanks so much for all the videos and help you have provided!
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #214
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

The 225° isn't going very well. I got up to 250 and got it settled in right there. I have received multiple questions on the videos and via email regarding being able to park this cooker at the magic 225° mark and it's proving to be difficult.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #215
certified106
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
The 225° isn't going very well. I got up to 250 and got it settled in right there. I have received multiple questions on the videos and via email regarding being able to park this cooker at the magic 225° mark and it's proving to be difficult.
How fast did you bring it up to temp? Do you think it is possible with more practice and what kind of mods if any did you do to it? How did you start the smoker, Minion method or fire starter in the cooker? This news is kind of a bummer
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #216
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
How fast did you bring it up to temp? Do you think it is possible with more practice and what kind of mods if any did you do to it? How did you start the smoker, Minion method or fire starter in the cooker? This news is kind of a bummer
Honestly why are you cooking at 225?

250 would not be much of a difference at all?

I think most people nowadays are cooking at 250 and higher.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #217
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegobbq View Post
Honestly why are you cooking at 225?

250 would not be much of a difference at all?

I think most people nowadays are cooking at 250 and higher.
I don't cook at 225 anymore but I have gotten a lot of questions about being able to do that after my Boston Butt cook at 270ish. I got it stabilized around 250 but not much lower than that. For a lot of folks, 225 is the holy grail of BBQ so they are probably going to have to spend $800+ to have that on a Kamado rather than the $300 for this one. As far as low and slow is concerned, I have been cooking for the last several months between 250 and 275 with no noticeable difference in results other than a slightly shorter cook time, which is really insignificant as well at those temps.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #218
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
I brought it up slowly using a minion method startup. I also probably made one mistake in the setup which will be shown in the video. I set my pizza stone on the cast iron grate and then set my temp probe on the pizza stone. I wasn't thinking that the pizza stone would take longer to come to temp than the rest of the pit, so that probably cause me to not slow down the air flow soon enough. I'm not gonna repeat this test though because it's irrelevant to me.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #219
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I brought it up slowly using a minion method startup. I also probably made one mistake in the setup which will be shown in the video. I set my pizza stone on the cast iron grate and then set my temp probe on the pizza stone. I wasn't thinking that the pizza stone would take longer to come to temp than the rest of the pit, so that probably cause me to not slow down the air flow soon enough. I'm not gonna repeat this test though because it's irrelevant to me.
Each cooker is different, I wouldn't be surprised if another identical cooker could zero in on 225*. But yea, there's nothing magical about 225*, too bad so many books and other references use this # w/out explaining that it's ok go higher like 250-275*.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #220
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

JM....I've been wanting an egg type cooker but didn't want to spend the big bucks for a BGE since I just bought a Gator. Your recommendation and videos for the Akorn was very appreciated. With all that being said, I went to my local Lowes today and bought the Akorn, put it together and seasoned it this evening.

Last edited by KingRanch450; 09-15-2013 at 11:39 AM..
KingRanch450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #221
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Each cooker is different, I wouldn't be surprised if another identical cooker could zero in on 225*. But yea, there's nothing magical about 225*, too bad so many books and other references use this # w/out explaining that it's ok go higher like 250-275*.
In all fairness though, if I'm going to 'review' a product like this I need to include that information as my results show. I still think it could be made to cook at 225 by various methods, one of which would be to put a water pan underneath the grate on my diffuser rack.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #222
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch450 View Post
jm....i've been wanting an egg type cooker but didn't want to spend the big bucks for a bge since i just bought a gator. Your recommendation and videos for the akorn was very appreciated. With all that being said, i went to my local lowes today and bought the akorn, put it together and seasoned it this evening.
awesome! :)

Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #223
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Have you tried a water pan on the diffuser? That'll help keep temps stable, and absorb some of that powerful heat.

Got mine today, assembled, and am seasoning right now. Ribs tomorrow!
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #224
LeThompson
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

This is a great thread and great reviews Jim. You have me convinced. The wife is scared of charcaol, she likes propane becasuse of the supposed chemicals in charcoal.
I almost have her convinced and your videos are the reason why I am going to continue to work until I get to pickup this up. Hopefully this week. Thanks and keeps the videos coming
LeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #225
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

JM.....I'm trying to find the digital thermometer you used in the videos. I found the Maverick Redi Check but it was only a single probe. Can you tell me the model number? Thanks.

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado