Beginning of the end?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here's the brief version...

Friday, KCBS had on its agenda to consider the sanctioning for Ronnie Cates' Smoke on the Water contest in Lulu, MS. He was two days late with some of the paperwork required at 90 days. However, Ron contacted the office via phone and email and spoke directly to two board members (this from Ron himself) to let them know he was waiting on a major sponsor for the event and would be a couple of days late.

First vote, board voted to sanction anyway by a 6-5 vote.

After the vote, "someone" persisted and convinced the board to discuss further.

Another vote was taken to sanction and this time it failed by a 6-5 vote. So Ron Cates got a contest sanctioning denied for little more than "we want to play by the letter of the law" rather than "we want to do what's best for KCBS".

This morning, Ron Cates said he will be starting a new sanctioning body sooner rather than later. All of his contests will eventually be sanctioned by his organization and not KCBS.

Ron estimated that this will cost KCBS approximately $30,000 annually.

So how is losing this kind of money AND high profile, high prize purse events in the best interests of KCBS?

This whole KCBS stuff is like a bad soap opera...

I saw the same thing happen with a sport I was involved with. One sanctioning body in the 1980's turned into a circus with members/contest organizers breaking off, taking sides and beginning their own sanctioning bodies due to politics and petty BS.

This lead to multiple claims to be leading organization, in it for the best interests of the membership, promises of making it better, protection of the the long term viability of the sport, upholding integrity, multiple claims to champion/championship events etc.... It became irrepairable to this day.

I can see both sides here, who ever is at fault.. the answer always comes down to $$$.

Fractionalization at it's best.. What a shame.

Last edited:
It was sanctioned and then later it was not sanctioned? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Was any explanation given as to why the sanctioning of a contrest was reversed?

It was sanctioned and then later it was not sanctioned? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Was any explanation given as to why the sanctioning of a contrest was reversed?

I believe the paperwork was a couple of days late.

First vote, board voted to sanction anyway by a 6-5 vote.

After the vote, "someone" persisted and convinced the board to discuss further.

Another vote was taken to sanction and this time it failed by a 6-5 vote. So Ron Cates got a contest sanctioning denied for little more than "we want to play by the letter of the law" rather than "we want to do what's best for KCBS".
Lets wait for the minutes before saying this is what happened and I don't mean quick notes. My understanding is there's more to the story. And I really hate people making comments about bullying on the BOD uless they were listening at the time and can substantiate it. Not meant at just you Jeff, there have been many people on multiple Forums all saying this but nodoby will admit to hearing anything live.
This whole KCBS stuff is like a bad soap opera...

I can see both sides here, who ever is at fault.. the answer always comes down to $$$.
So true. Even if it's about a guarantee for prize money.
I believe the paperwork was a couple of days late.
There's a lot more to the story.

But I think it is going to hurt the KCBS losing the Cates promotions. At the same time competition may help the sport grow. I'm sure they will be successful in their ventures but it's sure going to be for the big teams not the average competition cook. North Little Rock start at $450 for an entry fee.

:confused:
hmmmmmm.

IMHO.....One word negates that.

Lakeland

I dont even know where to start. After the banquet, with stuff i was hearing, it really seems like the organization is going to just self destruct... and I cant even begin to figure out where they would or should start to prevent it. Theres just so much, every year, something new comes up, along side the old stuff. I'll continue to pay my dues, and continue to compete in the KCBS contests, but sometimes its frustrating when the folks we trust to represent us, and do whats best, AND sometimes inject some common sense into the decisions... well.. I dont see that happening.

All I can say is that is what rules are written for, if there was a gray area, the PORK rule what not be so pressed. So I want to here no complaining from all of those people who say the rules are the rules!!!!!!!!!!

As a new competitor I seriously considered a new membership to KCBS this year. I want to be supportive of a group that provides great opportunities for me, but after reading several post here and elsewhere I am just puzzled on what to do. Drama is something I tend to run away from and it seems that drama is part of the KCBS game

As a new competitor I seriously considered a new membership to KCBS this year. I want to be supportive of a group that provides great opportunities for me, but after reading several post here and elsewhere I am just puzzled on what to do. Drama is something I tend to run away from and it seems that drama is part of the KCBS game

I wouldnt worry about it...they do a fine job sanctioning a contest and most of the bickering has little to do with your ability to compete in a fair way against other BBQ teams.

There's a lot more to the story.

Your point is fair. I suspect I've heard all, or at least most of it but didn't want to lay it all out there.

We have a local contest here that was in the same situation -- paperwork was going to be late because the organizers did not want to jump before the sponsors, who don't give a damn about KCBS's rules, had their money locked down. The same channels of communication were used -- notice to KCBS board members, who allegedly made encouraging noises about sanctioning being approved.

The contest's sanctioning was shot down for late paperwork.

Why should Ronnie Cates be any different? Because he has more money?

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
"I wouldnt worry about it...they do a fine job sanctioning a contest and most of the bickering has little to do with your ability to compete in a fair way against other BBQ teams."

Your probabaly right...either way, it all will pan out in the end

In my understanding of Robert's Rules of Order a vote can only be reconsidered if one of the YES voters claims they didn't understand or voted the way they did because of wrong information. I could be wrong (I'm no expert on RroO) but there is a chance the vote would have to stand if the issue is pressed. Don't like the result? Press the issue.

Anyone who has paid attention to the actions of certain board members as opposed to their rhetoric is not surprised by this latest turn of events.

EDIT: Oh, and the KCBS BoD is not bound by Robert's Rules.

In my understanding of Robert's Rules of Order a vote can only be reconsidered if one of the YES voters claims they didn't understand or voted the way they did because of wrong information. I could be wrong (I'm no expert on RroO) but there is a chance the vote would have to stand if the issue is pressed. Don't like the result? Press the issue.

those rules aren't used by the BoD.

We have a local contest here that was in the same situation -- paperwork was going to be late because the organizers did not want to jump before the sponsors, who don't give a damn about KCBS's rules, had their money locked down. The same channels of communication were used -- notice to KCBS board members, who allegedly made encouraging noises about sanctioning being approved.

The contest's sanctioning was shot down for late paperwork.

Why should Ronnie Cates be any different? Because he has more money?

To a degree. Ronnie Cates is taking $30k in fees with him. He's taking exposure and a relationship with NASCAR with him as well. I think all of those things would go a long way towards promoting BBQ.

I don't have a problem with a successful and respected organizer getting the benefit of the doubt. That goes for any organizer that fits the criteria; not just Ronnie Cates.

:confused:
hmmmmmm.

IMHO.....One word negates that.

Lakeland

I dont even know where to start. After the banquet, with stuff i was hearing, it really seems like the organization is going to just self destruct... and I cant even begin to figure out where they would or should start to prevent it. Theres just so much, every year, something new comes up, along side the old stuff. I'll continue to pay my dues, and continue to compete in the KCBS contests, but sometimes its frustrating when the folks we trust to represent us, and do whats best, AND sometimes inject some common sense into the decisions... well.. I dont see that happening.

Dang if that don't sound like how they run things were I work.
Dave

Anyone consider that there may be more to the story as Paul Harvey said. Could it be other requirements were not met in addition to the late filing? ie. prize money guarantee for the cooks, previous performances, etc.

Last edited:
I don't get it. KCBS sanctioning docs say just send in a minimum of $300 and your form at least 90 days prior to the contest. If they say no, you get your money back. He was 2 days late. With the info available, I like the call.

Back