• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "For The Love of Gravy!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"For The Love of Gravy!"

gravywrestle3pin_800x538_zps9ce1f746.jpg

As chosen by Charred Apron for his fabulous win in the "Tri-Tip Feast" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

CharredApron said:
We have had all the muscle meats of late, I think it's time to show off our love for Gravy. Things are cooling off across the Country. So "For The Love Of Gravy" Let's get it on!

Special rules, oh yes they do exist.

1.) Gravy must be prepared from drippings of the main protein. Additional stocks may be added, but it cannot be the soul base of the gravy.
2.) Pasta sauce is gravy (in my world) so it's game on too!
3.) Entries must include a recipe to be shared amongst the Brethren. Measured quantities are not necessary, but listing the ingredients is a must!

It's about time we had some special rules, for a change! :whoo:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/18 through Sunday 10/27.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 10/28

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread. :loco:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Question for Jed:

Can the main protein be cooked IN the gravy? In other words, the meat drippings will meld with the gravy ingredients as the gravy and meat cook at the same time?

Absolutely! :thumb: My intent was not to create a gravity dripping contest, the rules states it must be made from the "drippings" sausage gravy made from the remnants of drippings in the pan is a good example.

If it were not hunting season and i wasnt spending every waking moment on the weekends chasing black tails around the woods i would be in on this.
Good luck everyone!

If it were not hunting season and i wasnt spending every waking moment on the weekends chasing black tails around the woods i would be in on this.
Good luck everyone!
Come on, a guys gotta eat! Campfire gravy, the way it was meant to be.

My entry...

I wasn't going to enter this TD, because I was grossed out by the pr0n in the description post, but it occurred to me that I have not made chicken fried steak in quite a while, and that requires gravy. So, I decided to make some CFS, mashed potatoes, and fried okra -- three foods that go well with copious amounts of white gravy.

So, here we go. I made the gravy first. A good CFS gravy must start with butter. Half a stick of butter.

picture.php

Then you need an equal amount of flour, and some serious stirring.

picture.php

Then you need milk, salt and fresh ground black pepper.

picture.php

It starts off watery, but once it hits a boil, it thickens up just right.

Next, I made some garlic mashed potatoes, from scratch, of course.

picture.php

I took some top sirloin, and beat the crap out of it. I like to make my CFS with better than average steak.

picture.php

I know this is a gravy throwdown, but I did some experimenting. I used the kettle fried chicken process to make some kettle fried steak.

picture.php

I deep fried some breaded okra to sop up some more of that gravy, and when it was all plated up, it was a cardiologist's worse nightmare, but I sure did enjoy it. I hope I am still around tomorrow. Money shot.

picture.php

The gravy was awesome. The rest was awesome, too, but this is a gravy throwdown. The kettle fried steak tasted great, but a lot of the crust fell off during the cook, so I probably won't do that again.

CD

Last edited:
These entries are much better than the gravy covered guy in the OP! :wink:

Official entry in the "For the Love of Gravy" TD

I doubled down with the Big Boar Country Ribs today and used the drippings and juices I could muster up to make some gravy with mushrooms, onions, and roasted garlic to top them off.

The gravy blended nicely with the Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub and tasted wonderfull

Full cook can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173620

Please use this as my entry shot

View attachment 86557

Thanks for lookin! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: SD

Last edited:
I will be the stick in the mud. Does CD's entry count? As it does not appear from his description of making the gravy first that he followed rule #1

1.) Gravy must be prepared from drippings of the main protein. Additional stocks may be added, but it cannot be the soul base of the gravy

I will be the stick in the mud. Does CD's entry count? As it does not appear from his description of making the gravy first that he followed rule #1

1.) Gravy must be prepared from drippings of the main protein. Additional stocks may be added, but it cannot be the soul base of the gravy
The voters will decide the fate of each entry.

Back