Does anyone dry wood other than air dry?

CtTradArcher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a process for drying wood for a stickburner other than letting it air dry. Something that is faster and ends up with a lower moisture content.

Every time you are cooking keep some pieces on the FB. For the most part nature just needs to do it's thing though.

I'm really lucky that I have a supplier (southernfuelwood.com) where I get kiln dried hickory by the pallet. I think they also have pecan. Great stuff, ultra clean burns!

I do keep sticks on top of the firebox. Learned that here and it makes a bigger difference than I would have thought. They ignite much quicker that way.

I am more asking about a quicker way of going from something short of seasoned to completely seasoned to down around 8% moisture content.

I would think the kiln dried that Dave is using must be the ultimate...

Last edited:
I'm really lucky that I have a supplier (southernfuelwood.com) where I get kiln dried hickory by the pallet. I think they also have pecan. Great stuff, ultra clean burns!

I use them as well. Where I grew up there was a couple businesses in the area that had kilns, call around to sawmills, furniture factory, or anybody using lots of wood you might be able to sneak a pallet in a couple times a year.

For what it might be worth in talking to the guys I buy wood from, their largest clients are wood fired pizza oven restaurants. I'm sure you have a few of then around you, ask them where they get their wood. Bet you have a kiln dried supplier nearby.

Back