MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
atcNick
Knows what a fatty is.

Default ButchersBBQ injection: comp vs backyard

I've never cooked at a comp. I've been reading about the butchers BBQ injection on here and other forums and want to give it a try. The reviews seem to be mostly good. But I have read a few comments where people say they wouldn't cook a brisket at a comp without it, but at home for friends and family they wouldn't use it. I don't understand??!!

Wouldn't you give a judge the best piece of BBQ you can cook?? And wouldn't you feed your friends and family the best BBQ you can??

So what's the difference between using this injection for a comp vs friends/family? Why would you chose to use it at a comp and not for backyard cooking?

Thanks

-Nick via Tapatalk
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
bam
is One Chatty Farker

When you cook at a comps you competing against others. Injecting in my opinon you add flavor and insure moisture. I inject always more practice for comps.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The injections such as Butchers use ingredients that add to the moisture and texture of brisket and makes for a much more consistent product. I am not against using it for home, but, it is added cost and I kinda like the idea of just cooking the meat withjout injection. I can't say that the flavor difference is a positive or negative, so much as a difference. I have injected with other ingredients and find that injecitng a brisket does change the flavor and is not always what I want.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

For a comp, I totally get it... use whatever will give you an edge.. When I used to compete I injected with FAB all the time...but just don't see the point for home useage.

Two reasons

1) My family eats enough processed foods with sometimes unpronounceable ingredients... Maybe totally harmless, but I just don't like the idea of purposefully injecting phosphates, MSG etc. into their food.

2) If I cook it properly, I don't think it's needed
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

exactly what vin said.

comp judges are taking ONE BITE of your food. the unthinkable things we do to comp food is not meant for a meal.

with that said, everything in moderation. inject a bit and its good. but don't season with accent after...extrapolate at will.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

what they said too ^^^^^^^^

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Exactly what Vinny said.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer