MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Default Restaurants that smoke their meats for crazy amounts of time?

I've noticed that several of the restaurants featured on shows such as BBQ Crawl and various other bbq specials are saying that they smoke their butts and briskets anywhere from 16 to 18 and sometimes even 20+ hours. If that's true, what temp could they be cooking at? 200 or maybe 215? Or is it all just a bunch of hogwash so they can get around revealing their true cooking times and temps?
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I never believe what I hear on those shows, unless it makes sense based on my personal experience.
Not saying directly that they are lying, but I do think they "fudge" the truth and may say what they think the normal viewer wants to hear or to make them "different".

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I think a lot of times it is just B.S. because the network thinks it sounds cool.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Hopefully they're going by feel and not time anyway. ;-)

Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

In my experience, the longer the smoking time most of them claim, the less smoke you can detect.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

My last brisket went 17 hours to get probe tender and hit temp.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

sigh.... Joe's BBQ in Alvin... 24 hours....

Observed.... rubbed, thrown in the fridge 10 hours, smoked 6 hours, rested the remainder of time.

I myself am liking a very low and slow entry to set the ring, then roast smoke until tender, then long rest again.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

That's exactly it. Franklin's, Mueller, and others put their briskets at the end (coolest) of the pit, Over time they move it along. This helps it develop the smoke ring then finish up fast. I think low and slow to begin will help with the smoke ring.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Copronymous
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a friend with a joint, has 2 Old Hickory units. He cooks briskets (flats only) for around 12 hours, give or take, @185*. He puts them on at 6 p.m., then pulls them after he arrives the next morning (6-ish), or whenever they're done. He gets unbelievable smoke rings and they are super juicy.

Either these super long cook times are just for effect, or they're cooking big whole packers at super low temps.
Copronymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copronymous View Post
I have a friend with a joint, has 2 Old Hickory units. He cooks briskets (flats only) for around 12 hours, give or take, @185*. He puts them on at 6 p.m., then pulls them after he arrives the next morning (6-ish), or whenever they're done. He gets unbelievable smoke rings and they are super juicy.

Either these super long cook times are just for effect, or they're cooking big whole packers at super low temps.
I've always wanted to try smoking something at less than 200 degrees, but I've always heard horror stories about meat being in the "danger zone" for too long when cooked that low. Sure seems like quite a few bbq joints go that route though.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
AZScott
Take a breath!

They are lying but it sounds amazing to those who "think" they know what makes good BBQ. If they are keeping it in smoke for 20 hours I'll take a pass.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I guess I would have to wonder if they really SMOKE for that long or if it is just the total cook that lasts that long, perhaps only smoking for the first few hours.

KC

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
IamMadMan

TV Show have to get your interest for it to be a success...

The comments about cooking times are something that will catch the viewer's attention and hopefully peak their interest in the show. People will follow in hopes of getting an answer.

By the comments posted here, they have done their job catching interests...

Lastly good BBQ takes time and work, it isn't easy but it can be enjoyable. If it were easy, everybody would be doing good BBQ and these restaurants would soon cease to exist. If they have found a successful method of creating great BBQ food, one could hardly expect them to reveal their recipes and methods, especially on national TV.

Simply put they send you on an easter egg hunt for something that doesn't exist, so you keep returning trying to find another tidbit of a clue. If you had people lining up at your door to get a taste of your great BBQ making you wealthy and very popular, how willing would you be to tell everyone how to exactly replicate your food. Maybe they all wouldn't try it, but someone would try to replicate and take some business away from you..

Just my opinion here..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Hcs
On the road to being a farker

When just starting out I overloaded the uds in the dead of the winter and it took every bit of 18 hours but boy did I learn and that has never happened again usually 12 hours at 225 for briskets and about 8 for butts

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
SITM BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I can believe that they are cooking for 15 to 18 hours. When I first started cooking I would let a butt or brisket go at 225 on the BGE for 16 hours minimum. I did not foil back then and the stall would last for up to 7 hours aroun 160 it. If they are doing whole shoulder or 20 pound packers with no foiling then I can see going one hour per pound at 225. I don't understand doing this however when you can get the same results in 8 hours with slightly higher temps and foil.