Chicken Appearance

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of some chicken thighs I cooked on the kettle last night. I'd like to know what you think of the appearance - color, shine, etc. I'm having difficulty getting it right and want to know what others think. I know the pictures aren't great, but at least I remembered to take them. I know some are a bit gloppy and there's a big hunk of black something on one.

Feb2209Chicken003.jpg

Feb2209Chicken002.jpg

It may be the lighting or just the quality of the picture itself, but to my eye, the sauce is too thick and opaque. I can see brush strokes.

I like to be able to see the skin look like it is going to be crispy when i bite into it. A thin layer of sauce/glaze can help make that happen. A thick coating obscures the chicken.

Overall, I think you are on the right track.

You're using the wrong rub and sauce... Take a picture of my sponsor banner and that will give you an idea...

Good seeing you on Saturday Pat.

No offense but to me it looks like raw chicken with sauce painted on it. Very orange sauce.

No offense but to me it looks like raw chicken with sauce painted on it. Very orange sauce.

None taken. I tried thinning the sauce but it might have still been too thick. Do I want a cherry red color?

The chicken itself was good and the skin was nice.

This was Cattlemen's original with some honey and apple juice. I'm in the "clearing out the many bottles of sauce in my fridge" stage. It sure didn't look orange when I mixed it up. After cooking, it actually looked more brown than orange. Wasn't what I wanted, looks wise. I think the orange color is from the flash. I've got a jug of SBR too, so I'll use that up on the next cook.

Back