MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Default Bradford Pear.......

Bradford Pear is an ornimental tree used in several cities to dress up their parks. Many will say it is not suitable for smoking and say it is a very dense wood making it a pain in the arse to deal with.

I know of only one person that admits to using it.

I grabbed up some Bradford Pear in August 2006. I wanted to find out my self. If it was good great. If not, I would not have much to get rid of. I used Bradford Pear yesterday on two whole chickens. If all crapped out, I was out some time and maybe $10 in chicken.

I cut the logs into about 10" sections and let them season that way. I used a hatchet to spilt wood the same size with out problems before so gave it a try. Nope, too dense so I broke out the splitting maul. From there I had no problems.

The wood burned well and I used no more than some other woods I have used in the past.

The chicken skin had a nice golden brown color. The same as I have gotten from pecan and apple.

The finished product was quite yummy. An obvious smoke flavor was present but not bitter or over powering.

My over all opinion of Bradford Pear is a good one. Would I use it again? Yes I will!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thank's for testing that Puppy, have had some seasoning and was curious how it would smoke, i figured it would be good on chicken, fish, maybe even on a butt!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
tkuehn5410
Full Fledged Farker

I own a landscaping and tree company and use bradford pear for smoking all the time. I never had any idea some would shun the sweet aroma exuded by the burn.