MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Side by Side Smokers

I set up the BSKD beside the Bandera and it's a mirror image.but the "dera' is better quality.The BSKD has some nice features like the slide out water pan.But the door latches suck,i'm not fooling with stronger springs going to weld washers on the inside like the "dera"Will have some pics. soon. Did the baffle and seasoned it today, it wiil do until i get my Spicewine Smoker
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting comparison.

Oh - don't forget to update your sig bock to show your new toy!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
BAG3
Knows what a fatty is.

Come on kc, tell us what you really think!! LOL
BAG3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Quote:

I set up the BSKD beside the Bandera and it's a mirror image.but the "dera' is better quality.The BSKD has some nice features like the slide out water pan.But the door latches suck,i'm not fooling with stronger springs going to weld washers on the inside like the "dera"Will have some pics.
Frankly I'm sick of hearing what a POS the BSKD is, if the 'dera is so farking great why isn't the wonder cooker even being made any more?
BTW compared to my Cimarron, the Bandera is a piece of crap tin foil box.
The answer is the market for our type smokers is going away, limited interest, new state laws limiting smoke, extra cost MODs required to make them usable, etc. And the ever increasing profit margins in gas cookers. I asked the local Lowes guy why he doesn't stock more BSKD and his answer was we don't sell enough to make it worth wild for our revenue base. Charbroil knows this and Brinkman will sooner or later.

When you live as long as I have, it is easier to read the tea leaves. (as long as you can still see!) :?

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Better hang on to them they are going to be collectors items.Maybe i'll put my Bandera/BSKD Dually on ebay
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera

Old 04-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
The answer is the market for our type smokers is going away,
If true that's too bad. I believe our design is superior to the horizontal form, but apparently the horizontal has bbe around for so long, people jump on those not realizing how great the other can be. I'm just hypothesizing here, but it what I shame if I'm right.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Whereas the original NB bandera is definatley better quality than both the SKD and the Charbroil Bandera, IMHO, the Chargrill version of the Bandera is prettty much equal to the SKD, and from what i saw the additional features of the smoke king, make up for its shortcomings comparing it to the Charbroil Bandera. Taking into consideration the nicer SKD features, like the grates, rib racks and slide out water pan, if i had them side by side on the sales floor, I'd probably roll out with the SKD...

Unless of course the Bandera had an NB emblem on it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have to Agree with mary on this one. What limited time I had the SKD I thought it was better off then the Charboil model. IMO Charboil is cheaply made. Think it is a oriental thing.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

I had (before the DREA went on it’s world tour) bookend SKD and the old school DERA, I could not say one was better then the other. That is like asking which child you would save if you could only save one. Door handle’s on the SKD suck, DERA the wheels fall off. Both need the same as fare when it comes to the mod’s. I’ve cooked on both I like both.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Interesting comparison.

I've tried twice to change my sig. but it didn't work Don't what i'm doing wrong.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Interesting comparison.

I've tried twice to change my sig. but it didn't work Don't what i'm doing wrong.

choose "profile" in the menu at the top of this page, change the signature block, Hit submit. dont work, send me a PM and I will change it for u.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote