MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #6496
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I was thinking about doing a brisket and was wondering if anyone had any tips. A lot of the recipes I've read sound like they require alot of opening and closing the lid to mop. Not sure if I like that idea.

I don't mop my brisket. Just remember- if you are a lookin' ya ain't cookin.
Just my opinion
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #6497
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
If you have an Ace Hardware in your area I believe they have it also. I went to HD and got mine. I asked three sales people where it was and they didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found it myself. It's in the section where they sell small square pieces of sheet metal mesh type material, short pieces of steel square tubing, and flat stock. This is the best way I can describe the section.

Yea found mine at Ace. The guy had no idea what i was talking about until I showed the big 24X24 box that says Expanded Steel

It was def by all the sheet metal and diamond plating.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #6498
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
Also whats the deal in finding expanded steel? Every HD I call has no idea what Im talking about or they say they only have aluminum.
I got mine at Lowe's. It is in packs of 12" x 24", and you find it in the Hardware section, where the threaded rods, aluminum strips, and smaller pre-cut sheet metal.
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #6499
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
If you have an Ace Hardware in your area I believe they have it also. I went to HD and got mine. I asked three sales people where it was and they didn't know what I was talking about. I finally found it myself. It's in the section where they sell small square pieces of sheet metal mesh type material, short pieces of steel square tubing, and flat stock. This is the best way I can describe the section.
I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" expanded steel at a local steel yard. It cost $75, but a good buddy of mine bought 1/2. I built my fire basket and have some left over, for my next project.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #6500
crappiemike
Found some matches.

Unhappy Red liner

I tried the Easy Off trick on my red liner and it didn't do anything. Also tried paint remover and that didn't work either.....going to buy a refurbished one from Consolidated barrel in Mpls..
crappiemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #6501
thunderwagn
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting on the liner... I wonder how many different things these are coated with? I think you can see it worked on mine from the picture. Did you coat the crap out of it and really let it foam up? I bet I used half a can or so on the lid. Let that shiz totally foam up and sit for awhile. Then I scrubbed with like a green scrubby. Who knows what all different things these barrels are painted with....

Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #6502
owen299
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ready

Red liner ...sandblasted Holes....Drilled Firebox....made

Ready for a fire and to cure the the shiney inside of the drum...what should be wiped on inside of drum? I've read...peanut oil / vegtable oil /cooking spray (pam). What's the best ? After a burn to get a handle on temps. , and cure the drum(step #1) its MEAT TIME , AAAAhhhh Sweet Animal Flesh and Adult Beverages (step#2)

owen299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #6503
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Ok mine is a reconditioned drum meaning they acid washed it out and no liner. How long should I burn it for?

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club

Last edited by ChicagoSizzlin; 08-14-2010 at 01:59 PM..
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #6504
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

@owen299 I read CRISCO or similar shortening is easy to work with, as you control how much you want on it.. and it stays put once you do. I used it for cast iron and it works great.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #6505
kjdave
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Uds air vents

I've seen a lot of usds that have three air vents on the bottom; why three and not just one?
kjdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #6506
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwagn View Post
So as a follow up on the Easy Off for the liner, I completely covered the lid with the oven cleaner. Let it soak for a couple hrs and scrubbed it off with soap and water. There was still a few spots of heavy liner here and there, so I just applied a second coat of cleaner. Let it sit for about an hour and again scrubbed it off with soap and water. No more liner.....

I must have the super-duper dreaded liner cuz tried the Easy off trick and I think I heard the liner chuckle in an evil way after applying it!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #6507
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdave View Post
I've seen a lot of usds that have three air vents on the bottom; why three and not just one?
Mine has just one:

It's off of a BGE. I have full control and can get temps up real high.

To answer your Q, that's just the way they were originally designed. A bunch of mods had been done since.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6508
Luc
Found some matches.

Default 3 or 4, bolts and Bottom vents?

Hi Guys

A few questions.

1. How many bolts do you use to hold up the grill on your UDS, 3 or 4?

2. How many 1" bottom vents do you need, 3 or 4?

3. How many bottom vents do you open for 250, 350 and 450 deg?

On a small smoker, I had problems with the grill flipping when lifting one of a pair of big butts, with only 3 bolts holding the grill. Does anyone have the same problem with only 3 bolts on their 55 gal UDS?

I finally scored some drums for $10 ea 1 was unlined bare metal, the other 3 painted.

Luc
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #6509
LoveMeSomeQ
Got Wood.

So do I have a lined drum? I took a wire wheel to it and it came off pretty easily. this area took about 2 minutes to do. I thought the liners were a huge pain to come off. Will this come off from my burnout?

Last edited by LoveMeSomeQ; 08-16-2010 at 08:18 PM..
LoveMeSomeQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #6510
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

Default New drum guy

Ok, so I got a free drum the other day, and now I have a few questions for all you experienced drum heads. Oh, and I have been trying to "do the homework", but so far am only through the first 100 pages of this thread (it's not a thread, it's a whole tapestry). I'll go back to reading after I post this. I'd like to build while I am at home this week, most of my work time is spent on the road. That's why I am jumping to the end here with my questions.

Ok... closed-top drum, cutting it will be no problem. Have set my Weber lid on it and it seems to fit snugly over the rolled top, like it was made for it. I have parts of another Weber in the garage that have been waiting for this to happen. I've seen big stacks, lids with 8 smaller holes drilled, etc.... is the Weber lid with it's stock vent enough for the exhaust?

So far (through those 100 pages), it seems that (3) 3/4" pipe nipples for intakes, one with a ball valve, are working well for many. Feel free to correct me if there are better ideas.

Charcoal basket size - my biggest question so far. I've seen low and wide and tall and narrow. What's the consensus? I am thinking around 14" in diameter, sides need to be maybe 8" high? More or less on either measurement? Pan underneath for ash containment, basket raised above the pan just an inch or two? Basket will be expanded metal with a handle for lifting from the drum.

Small things: Thermometer mounted in the side, just below the lower rack I think? Maybe a small hole or two for a probe thermometer, handles and casters are options I'm considering...
What am I missing? I'm certainly open to suggestions and criticism!

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker