The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #16
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

I’ve had 1 or 2 flameouts on my grill before adding my Savannah stoker. IMO with the basic timed pellet controller it’s only a matter of time until a flameout happens. That controller just can’t account for anything like wind ambient temp etc. If traeger added a simple PID controller they would be way ahead of the game on their lower end models. The Savannah stoker on my unit makes it so much better. I run +\- 5 degrees as the norm regardless of rain snow etc.

And I agree that traeger over markets. It’s too much. They are trying to create a household brand but they have some issues that are tough to overcome. The timberline problems need to be corrected. That’s a fundamentally excellent smoker but the price point and known flaws are attracting a lot of poor reviews.

I will say that their customer service is excellent though. I had a pellet bind that seemed to strip some gears in my auger. They had an auger motor in the mail after 10 mins on the phone.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #17
Montana Jack
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jack

I've been happy with mine. As said, not near the smoke profile of a stick burner, but convenience is hard to beat when I don't have time to watch the stick burner. Also nice can go off and leave and monitor food temp and adjust grill temp remotely. i do find the double wall is a big improvement in holding temp in cold weather. I've had no problems, but I do clean it thoroughly periodically. Not saying others may not be better, but didn't have many options close by.
Montana Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->