Applebee's ribs, LOL, to good to not share!

anamosity

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Baby Back Ribs like Applebee's®
Serves: 2-4
Prep. Time: 1:15

3 lbs. pork baby back ribs - cut in 2-4 sections
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbls. dark brown sugar
3 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. liquid smoke (see Notes below)
1/2 tsp. salt

-Place ribs in a large pot and fill pot with enough water to cover ribs.
-Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until ribs are fork tender.
-While ribs are boiling, combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
-Place boiled ribs, meat side down, on a broiler pan.
-Brush with half the sauce mixture and broil 4"-5" from heat for 6-7 minutes.
-Turn ribs over, brush with remaining sauce, and broil additional 6-7 minutes, or until edges are slightly charred.​

As a former Applebee's waitress, I can officially say..**blurp** I think I just puked a little...

At least they got the liquid smoke in it for true flavor :biggrin: :biggrin:

You would be surprised at how many people prefer them this way.

I agree. Not everybody has the same tastes. I'm 33 years old and have three cousins that are roughly my age. We're all from the "south" and they cannot stand ribs "smoked". They do not like the "smoke" flavor. They've been this way their entire life. When we used to have "bbq's" at their house when I was growing up my aunt (their mom) would cook the ribs in the oven, pull them, put bbq sauce on them and back in the over for the last ten minutes then serve. They absolutely loved them. What do you say? :confused:

Nah, those are usually easy to spot. Mostly women, or mentally, and socially underdeveloped men who think their momma invented cooking.

I agree. Not everybody has the same tastes. I'm 33 years old and have three cousins that are roughly my age. We're all from the "south" and they cannot stand ribs "smoked". They do not like the "smoke" flavor. They've been this way their entire life. When we used to have "bbq's" at their house when I was growing up my aunt (their mom) would cook the ribs in the oven, pull them, put bbq sauce on them and back in the over for the last ten minutes then serve. They absolutely loved them. What do you say? :confused:

I had a friend tell me how to make ribs like this recently. Usually when they say best bbq I ever ate, you know they have never had any real bbq. There's no accounting for taste. Some people even drink light beer and will swear to you that it tastes good. I have even seen people put that nasty KC Masterpiece on perfectly good meat. Go figure.

different strokes for different folks...I like Vinegar based Sauce, my brother enjoys tomato based sauce...not KC masterpiece though!!!

This guy (obviously a brethren) says it best: "You wouldn't boil bacon would ya?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8smkJDFIOg

I love it. He's hilarious! He's so funny, I can't tell if its all shtick.
"Shut up dog!"

One thing he says that I'm unsure of: Put your meat on while its cold. He says it helps get a better smoke ring.

Is this true? I would think putting the meat on cold would cause it to cook unevenly.

I roll on the floor laughing every time I watch it.
Funny thing is, I know people just like him, so no i don;t think it is shtick.

"Charcoal lighter fluid is for setting leaves afire"

Baby Back Ribs like Applebee's®

Serves: 2-4

Prep. Time: 1:15​

3 lbs. pork baby back ribs - cut in 2-4 sections
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbls. dark brown sugar
3 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. liquid smoke (see Notes below)
1/2 tsp. salt​

-Place ribs in a large pot and fill pot with enough water to cover ribs.
-Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until ribs are fork tender.
-While ribs are boiling, combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
-Place boiled ribs, meat side down, on a broiler pan.
-Brush with half the sauce mixture and broil 4"-5" from heat for 6-7 minutes.

-Turn ribs over, brush with remaining sauce, and broil additional 6-7 minutes, or until edges are slightly charred.​

THIS IS JUST WRONG!!!!! WRONG I TELL YOU!!!! :shock:

Ask 100 people off of the street "Where can I get good ribs?" and 90 will say "Applebees" This is where the famous "Fall off the bone." statement comes from. In my book fall off the bone means overcooked. These are also the same people that get their "real chili" from a can.

I love it. He's hilarious! He's so funny, I can't tell if its all shtick.
"Shut up dog!"

One thing he says that I'm unsure of: Put your meat on while its cold. He says it helps get a better smoke ring.

Is this true? I would think putting the meat on cold would cause it to cook unevenly.
Right out of a 38 degree frig. and right on to the smoker....never had a problem...

Man I love their ribs. Anyone have a link to some coupons?

I agree. Cold meat should develop a better smoke ring than warmer meat, all other things equal. A smoke ring forms until the meat is at 140* internal, so putting it on cold will allow it stay below 140* longer.

Right out of a 38 degree frig. and right on to the smoker....never had a problem...

Never had the ribs at applebees. There is a website for all the recipes for those places though, like chili's, tgi fridays ect. Just never tried it.
That guys hilarious! Straight in yo face cookin 101!:lol:

All my meat goes in the smoker cold.

I guess there's a reason the restaurant chain is headquartered in Kansas!

Back