MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Saulnier
Got Wood.

Default Tinkering with the UDS idea

I am tinkering with the idea of building a large smoker that is roughly based on the UDS. It would not be built from a drum. It is basically a 24"x24"x65 tall air tight box. I can control air in and smoke out. I should have room for 4 cooking grills above the fire basket. The lowest grill would still be 24" above the fire basket.

My question is this: If I build this it will hold a little more than 4 times what my UDS will hold. Do I need to make the fire basket bigger?
My current basket is 13"dia and 9" tall. I use about 10lbs at a time in my 55gal UDS.

Whacha think?

Saulnier

Last edited by Saulnier; 01-13-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Saulnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I make and sell three sizes of drum smokers here in SW MO. Each size uses its own size basket and grills. Sizes are 55gal.,85 gal., and 110 gal. All of mine are made with a smoker plate and pan to use as an option. Whenever a customer tells us their intended uses, vending, competing, home or rest., then we offer a size of intake and exhaust tubing for proper airflow. I think its just controlling air , temp and humidity the easiest as our goal. I would increase fire basket height. Good luck, Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulnier View Post
I am tinkering with the idea of building a large smoker that is roughly based on the UDS. It would not be built from a drum. It is basically a 24"x24"x65 tall air tight box. I can control air in and smoke out. I should have room for 4 cooking grills above the fire basket. The lowest grill would still be 24" above the fire basket.

My question is this: If I build this it will hold a little more than 4 times what my UDS will hold. Do I need to make the fire basket bigger?
My current basket is 13"dia and 9" tall. I use about 10lbs at a time in my 55gal UDS.

Whacha think?

Saulnier
You'd need a stepladder to get into it.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
It is basically a 24"x24"x65 tall air tight box. I can control air in and smoke out.
Like a giant charcoal GOSM? As long as you get the intake/exhaust ratio right it should work great.

This is 15 x 16 x 36. The stock air adjusters aren't great, so I am going to convert it to ball valve/open pipe nipples like a UDS one of these days.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
Like a giant charcoal GOSM? As long as you get the intake/exhaust ratio right it should work great.

This is 15 x 16 x 36. The stock air adjusters aren't great, so I am going to convert it to ball valve/open pipe nipples like a UDS one of these days.
Nope.......NOT air tight!
#detroitporkmafia

Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
DDave
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

Whacha think?

Saulnier
I think your current basket will hold close to 18 pounds. Mine is 13.5" x 9" and it holds two 9 pound bags of charcoal easily.

Beyond that, I would be curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on the temperature gradient since the chamber is so tall. I notice on my UDS that when things are chugging along nicely, the top third of the drum feels hotter than the middle third and that is with a 34" (about) barrel. I wonder what the temp differences would be from the bottom rack to the top in a chamber 65" tall. Might lead to some interesting rotation issues.

Just a thought.

Dave
Maverick ET-73
Taylor 1470 Digital Thermometers
Taylor 9842 Instant Read Thermometer
[COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Saulnier
Got Wood.

IT is going to run like a UDS but I will have a door on the front to get at the meat. I know that ALL of the heat will escape as soon as I open the door, but As well insulated as it is I think it will recover quickly.
I am gathering materials for the build over the next couple of days.
Yes I will psot pics.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Nope.......NOT air tight!
True the GOSM is not airtight. But what are you saying? Please elaborate on your comment.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Here's a thought. Given the state of the economy, I'd bet that an upright filing cabinet could be gotten cheap. Just cut out the bottoms of the drawers and replace with expanded metal. Perhaps even a fire rated filing cabinet sinces the sides are insulated.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
True the GOSM is not airtight. But what are you saying? Please elaborate on your comment.
Saul was saying he wants to build a cabinet smoker with UDS controls, i was naysaying your comparision to a GOSM because the leaky door would not allow the airtight structure needed to run like a UDS.
#detroitporkmafia