MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
spicewine
Babbling Farker

PELLETS!!! HUMBUG!!!

Sorry, I'm a pureist----Man and Machine---Coal and wood

Sorry to all you Pellet Heads but why don't you just bring your electric oven from home? It's the same thing! You set the dial at 220 and go to bed.

Good for home----Not at competition!!

SHUT UP JAY ,YOU OPINIONATED BASTICH----- Sorry that was my alter ego chimming in.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Why would a guru be more acceptable to a purist than a pellet feed system?

and

Why would charcoal be more acceptable than pellets? Both are processed wood.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I only put the guru on one of my units because that's what my customer wanted on it. Personally he doesn't need it but if he's paying the bill what the hell.

I dont have a problem with the pellets themselves, it's the electricly driven delivery system that I have a problem with in a competition situation.

I do think that everyone has their preferences and who knows, someone, some day may sell me on the idea that I should have a pellet fed.

Stranger things have been known to happen.

Doc: I do respect your opinon

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Columbia Missouri
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK

AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef

Old 02-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine
PELLETS!!! HUMBUG!!!

Sorry to all you Pellet Heads but why don't you just bring your electric oven from home? It's the same thing! You set the dial at 220 and go to bed.

SHUT UP JAY ,YOU OPINIONATED BASTICH----- Sorry that was my alter ego chimming in.
OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you got me started....

I agree 100%.. IMHO, pellet feeders AND any thermostatically controlled cooker shouldnt be in a competition, or at least there should be real competitions where they arent allowed. Your there to show what you can do, and how good you are, and fire managment is part of the art. Yeah, automatics feeders are great for the backyard, or the restaurant/catering businesses because it allows you to sleep and eliminates a major variable. But how does that show your skills? The variable can be eliminated somwhat with a WSM or Green egg also. Whats the difference between the pellet pushers and your kitchen oven? KCBS allows thermostatically controlled devices, but doesnt allow gassers, or electric rigs.. Once you introduce a thermostat, and feeder, etc.. then its irrelevant what the fuel source is.. Ya may as well just bring your kitchen oven and use a little liquid smoke.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine
PELLETS!!! HUMBUG!!!

OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you got me started....

I agree 100%.. IMHO, pellet feeders AND any thermostatically controlled cooker shouldnt be in a competition, or at least there should be real competitions where they arent allowed. Your there to show what you can do, and how good you are, and fire managment is part of the art. Yeah, automatics feeders are great for the backyard, or the restaurant/catering businesses because it allows you to sleep and eliminates a major variable. But how does that show your skills? The variable can be eliminated somwhat with a WSM or Green egg also. Whats the difference between the pellet pushers and your kitchen oven? KCBS allows thermostatically controlled devices, but doesnt allow gassers, or electric rigs.. Once you introduce a thermostat, and feeder, etc.. then its irrelevant what the fuel source is.. Ya may as well just bring your kitchen oven and use a little liquid smoke.
Amen Pooh Bah!

But what do you know? You're only a Yankee!
(hey I resemble that remark)
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Guess you guys don't like the team named "Pellet Envy" :D

As long as the associations allow assisted cooking (blowers, augers, auto dampers, etc) I have no problem with people using them.

I agree that it cheezes me off to be busting my butt all night while the Traeger or Fast Eddy/Cookshack owner sleeps - but I am willing to admit that most of that is ENVY that I can't afford one!

I tend to agree that electric assistance should not be allowed but like Ray/Dr.BBQ said - where do you draw the line. A couple of guys have gravity feed charcoal cookers that can go hours and hours without help - would that be allowed? Just asking - not trying to start anything.

I will admit that I'm looking real hard at an assisted cooker for catering. But, that is a different animal all together.

Since this is heating up would an admin please split this thread - maybe back where the pellet rant started?? This is good stuff but I would like it seperate from the cook off thread.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I will admit that I'm looking real hard at an assisted cooker for catering. But, that is a different animal all together.
If I ever buy one that will be the only reason why, for catering, and for healthy sleeping patterns!

Fat Tommy's Quer's and I were having this very same discussion at the BBQ Bash in Bel Air this past summer. Just do have the team next to us (cannot remember their name) had one of the treagers, I believe it was the Texas BBQ 075, the $999.00 jobbie!

Well, after we fought, and fought with setting up Tommy's new tent and had the meat seasoned these guys were under the hood sort to speak trying to get their unit up and running. Keep in mind they had no other cookers, not even a WSM or simple Weber Grill.

After a few drinks from the Du Claw brewery truck and a few hours later here is the same team, still under the hood, and one more auger replacement later--no dice. They leave and come back around 8 pm. Under the light of the flashlight they replace the thermostat and manage to get some smoke going but still their unit is not fully functional.

They disappear around midnight that night and never returned. The next day there was their equipment still sitting there as we were all cleaned up and ready to go home. I wonder if they ever picked up their smoker!

Needless to say, if they only had a backup cooker, or better yet some charcoal, lump and wood they would of been A-OK!

I'll take the old school method any time!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

This discussion reminds me of NASCAR.
They try to keep the "stock car" image (myth) alive by not allowing computer assisted suspension, braking, monitoring, etc.
OK.
But, "technology" drives the whole development and testing program.
The cars are loaded with "space age" materials, all created by technology.

NASCAR evolves every year, driven by marketing.
The "line" for permitted equipment keeps moving.

I have a feeling that "Competetive Que" will move the "line" as time goes on.
It may "go back to it's roots" and ban all "assisted" cooking.
Or, it may just say "Bring it on".

I am just noticing some ads for non-sanctioned events that allow gas, electric, and "whatever" heat source.
Haven't seen Nuclear listed yet, but probably coming
Large purses (some bigger than FBA purses) because large crowds draw large sponsors and big $.
They do not care about the traditions and finer points of competing--just $$.

I do not know and really don't have a firm opinion yet as a new competetor.

As DF said--we can't affort those rigs anyway.
May have to in the future.
JMHO.

TIM

Old 02-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Guess you guys don't like the team named "Pellet Envy"
No I don't, but that has nothing to do with my opinion of Trager and similar cookers.
I don't think they should be contest allowed either but the fact is they are. Some "purists" would say that foil is cheating, but its legal, winners use it and so does everyone else that wants to be competitve. Same can be said for pellet poopers. They're currently legal and if ya wanna have they type of control that the guy using a Fast Eddy has, you're gonna have to buy a FEC100.
Purity of method, unfortunately isn't scored in the tent.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

A purist is just a guy that has come to a point on the trail and then decides no one should go any futher cause he has found the Holy Grail according to him.
There are no true purist on this board I got to believe. The argument "I bust my ass all night while those guys just set a thermostat" is a weak one. Unless your willing to pile the rocks or dig the hole, chop down the trees with an stone axe, I suggest you need to get to the back of the purist line.
Just an opinion of course.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I agree that it cheezes me off to be busting my butt all night while the Traeger or Fast Eddy/Cookshack owner sleeps - but I am willing to admit that most of that is ENVY that I can't afford one!
Jim;

Please re-read my paragraph. I was admitting my envy! :D Truthfully, if I could afford an automated rig I'd compete with it. "Purist" is an old Native American word for "sure wish I had one of those"

Now, for backyard - naw I'll stick with what I have. But for catering I definately want some automation. Competition falls in the middle - I don't think I'd take my Southern Pride to a cook off but I just might take my Spice or Stump's cooker with a Guru. Nothing against pellet machines but I'm not ready to go that route yet.

So, Jim, I agree. Please don't take my off-hand comment out of context.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Quote:
"Purist" is an old Native American word for "sure wish I had one of those"
Then I take it back. If this is true then I'm no Purest.

Actually when it comes down to it I really don't care. Life's too short but why pass up the opportunity to stir up a good controversy

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Columbia Missouri
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK

AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef

Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i dont think its a matter of purity. I think its a matter of competing and showing what you can do on a level playing field. I dont think it and unfair advantage because alot of 1st place trophies came from the WSM that whooped the FE100. So its not an advantage, and believe me, i do not envy and FE100, and dont wish I had one.. If I ever decide to cater, then i may consider getting one. For me, BBQ is a hobby and a passion, not a job. I want toys, not tools. Poopers dont guarentee a win, they guarentee a nap.

IMO, Its just a matter of sportsmanship. We are competing, its a sport so show me what ya got.. shut off the thermostat, unplug the hopper and burn sticks. Thats a level playing field, and I am not going to lower the playing field by going out and getting a trager just to compete against the pellet poopers. Having the FE100 next to the WSM or a stick burner is like showing up at a stock race with a funny car. Best part is when moms mustang(WSM) takes first place, a BYC takes second and the Funny car(FE100) is somewhere else in top 10. Hey, but the cook got a good nights sleep.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #14
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
i dont think its a matter of purity. I think its a matter of competing and showing what you can do on a level playing field
That sums it up IMO. Like Mary said before - if a major factor in the quality of your product is a function of your fire control, I don't believe anything that can be used to set a temperature and forget it should be allowed for competition. Such units have great uses I'm sure

Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #15
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

David
Nothing personel taken I've heard the it's not fair many times. There are folks that believe that WSMs are not fair because you don't have to play with the fire all night.
Spice
Controversy is a wonderful thing.
Phil
If a level playing field is really the name of the game, then why not go to you can't use your pit, you have to use someone elses. Draw your pit out of a hat and let see if your a pit master.

Kcbs rule are simply as long as your fuel supply is charcoal or wood your legal, that includes pellets.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote