MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
ptysmoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Talking Jerky!

What up Folks!

I recently bought a pitmaker Vault, and must say it is one amazing smoker!
i have no issues cooking with it at temps any where from 220-270F, now yesterday I tried making my first smoked beef jerky and I could not keep the temperature under control what so ever! (I have looked up the BBQ Guru and i will get into buying one the moment I have some cash to spare)

now my first 2 hours I had it nice and steady at around 170F, from there on it went to hell (literally ), temps kept rising to 220F+.... by this time the valve was fully shut and have no idea how else to cool down the beast.

what could I do to keep the temp nice and steady?
is it possible I used to much lump?
any suggestions for this rookie jerky maker?

Greetings from Panama!
ptysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have never used your cooker but ice water pan may help

Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Use less charcoal 4-5 briquette cubes at a time and add more as needed.

If you are using all wood, start with a very small amount of coals, and only add a small chunk as needed.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
chargrill2369
On the road to being a farker

If you try again can you post what you did. I would like to try it later myself.
chargrill2369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Stumps and run a BBQ guru. I tried Jerky one time and could not keep the temps under 170. My setup is a bit different than yours but a water pan on the bottom rack will help some but like IAMMADMAN said use 4-5 briquettes.

I ended up buying a smoke vault for jerky and beef sticks.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have a dehydrator? Jerky only needs about 1 hour of smoke. The best jerky i have made, and tasted, has been using my smoker for an hour of smoke and finishing off in the dehydrator.

If you dont have a dehydrator you could finish off in a home oven set at 150F
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't forget to crack the oven door about 1/2" to 3/4" to let moisture escape.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #8
ptysmoker
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks Guys for the tips! Im going to put less charcoal in and correct me if im wrong, but the whole point about making jerky is to take the moisture out of the meat, if i put a water pan in their wouldn't that evaporate and create a humid environment?

Tomorrow I will pass by my local butcher to grab some meat to make a new batch of jerky!

the batch I had made did not turn out to shabby, some pieces had dried out more than others - on top of that with the higher heat it dried out faster than it should have.

Greetings from Panama!
ptysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysmoker View Post
Thanks Guys for the tips! Im going to put less charcoal in and correct me if im wrong, but the whole point about making jerky is to take the moisture out of the meat, if i put a water pan in their wouldn't that evaporate and create a humid environment?

Tomorrow I will pass by my local butcher to grab some meat to make a new batch of jerky!

the batch I had made did not turn out to shabby, some pieces had dried out more than others - on top of that with the higher heat it dried out faster than it should have.

Greetings from Panama!
Follow what IAMMADMAN says. I always build a small fire just to warm up the chamber. Then when temps start to drop to under 150 I add a couple of fist-sized chunks of wood. This barely keeps the fire going but provides smoke. I do this for a couple hours then "crank" the temps up to 170-200 until the jerky is pliable but doesn't break when you bend it. If it bends too easily you have to let it go longer.

This method is ONLY to be used if you are curing the jerky with curing salts.

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #10
JeffJ
Knows what a fatty is.

Years ago I got a Bradley electric smoker for Christmas. It works really well. In more recent years it's been pretty much sidelined as I've been cooking and smoking in kettles and a WSM. I still use it for 2 things: Canned whole tomatoes (I usually put them in a loaf pan), which get pureed and then used as a base for BBQ sauce, go into chili, etc. I also use it for beef jerky. As mentioned up-thread - I only run the smoke for an hour or so (2-3 hours for the tomatoes) and just have the oven temp set at 170 and let it go as long as needed. It's also a good device for cold-smoking cheese.

Now, I know this doesn't help you with your desire to do jerky in your Vault, but, as it was said up-thread - just apply smoke for an hour or so and then finish in the oven if you are struggling to maintain low temps.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, Jerky, Pitmaker, Vault