Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo on the Egg

cbagby64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With all of this snow I felt like a hearty soup/gumbo. I went to the deep freeze and found some andouille sausage and chicken thighs so I instantly thought gumbo! I thawed the sausage and chicken, then soaked the chicken in Kosmo's chicken soak. They went on the egg with a dusting of some random louisiana rub I bought last year. While the meat was cooking I made the roux, which is a pain in the arse, but worth it. After the meat was done I pulled the chicken and sliced the sausage and added it to a cast iron pan along with celery, okra, onion, and chicken broth. Once this was to temp I stirred in the roux and let it cook at 200 for about 2 hours. I then transfered it to the stove and let it simmer for 3 hours on low. Also made some thick red beans and rice to go along with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 57
That looks greatand reminds me we haven't made that or red beans and rice in a while. thanks

Ohhhh...I knew I shouldn't open this after sitting down to lunch! Now I'm wishing I had some Gumbo! It's the okra that is really doing it.

That's what my wife is cooking now. Will be ready when i get home. Hot gumbo and cold beer is as good as it gets. :biggrin:

Back