MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?
Yes! 33 28.21%
No! 18 15.38%
Meh 19 16.24%
Pork is now a grilling contest 5 4.27%
Nothing changes for me 34 29.06%
Farker! 8 6.84%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean .
That's how I read it!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
1- JR ENTERPRISES 60-23
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE BBR-79
1 SOUTHERN PRIDE SPK-500
WEBER RANCH KETTLE
2-WEBER 26.75 GOLD KETTLES

The DC Fire Department Firefighting BBQ Team!
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok reading this over I realize something quite interesting. This rule seems to be very similar to the BBQ-Brethren rule set which has served its event flawlessly in the past few years. Many cooks like the extra clarity and the fact that the rule is still a guideline rather than a directive. Many of the original KCBS rules as well as the BBQ-Brethren rules were/are written as general guideline which assumes there is integrity among teams/cooks to participate in a fair manner. The previous inceptions of the pork rule seemed to call into question all the team integrity rather then offer them a proper course of action.
I think they took a good direction here, albeit without the 5 lb rule which probably should have remained.
Let me see if I can find the brethren rule set and post a link. I think they are nearly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Brethren Rulebook
Pork
Pork is defined as a Whole Shoulder, Butt, or Boston Butt, or Picnic.

Starting weight must be 5.25 lb. minimum. Tenderloins, Loins and pre-trimmed "money muscles" are not permitted. Pork must be cooked whole to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, after which it may be manipulated and finished at the cook’s discretion. For health safety, a temperature of 145 must be maintained until delivery to the judges.

Pork may be submitted as a combination of styles or single style; such as Pulled, Sliced, Chopped or Diced. Bark, the outer layer of the pork, is also acceptable as part of your entry.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/rules.pdf <~~~if anyone wants to see more.

As you can see there is a bit more wording but the intent is the same.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
...dumb down the skills needed and make it "easybake" BBQ.
Shhhhhhh...we already know you shigged NTHOLE's secret cooking method but you don't have to be broadcastiong it like that...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa RnQ View Post
???

Did we all miss something? Or just me?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Shhhhhhh...we already know you shigged NTHOLE's secret cooking method but you don't have to be broadcastiong it like that...
I must be so good at shiggin that I can do it without knowing and on people I don't know personally at contests i didn't attend

Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #37
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Skip.... I ain't in a 4-year battle over the rule. My team cooks pork following the current rules and will continue to do so. From reading stuff here and seeing how many butts many teams cook, we probably don't follow the procedure many to and I'm willing to bet we put similar portions in the box.

We've done fairly well in the pork category over the last 24-30 months, I don't see much changing in our camp....new rule or not.

Carry on, I'll continue to watch the show from the bleachers when I'm bored.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #38
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Pork
Pork is defined as a Whole Shoulder, Butt, or Boston Butt, or Picnic.
Starting weight must be 5.25 lb. minimum. Tenderloins, Loins and pre-trimmed "money muscles" are not permitted. Pork must be cooked whole to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, after which it may be manipulated and finished at the cook’s discretion. For health safety, a temperature of 145 must be maintained until delivery to the judges.
Pork may be submitted as a combination of styles or single style; such as Pulled, Sliced, Chopped or Diced.
Bark, the outer layer of the pork, is also acceptable as part of your entry.
Psssst.....KCBS Board....look how easy this is.

Nudge....nudge...

Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #39
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

Basically everyone will interpret the rule as they wish... 90&#37; of the KCBS rules are not enforceable anyway... Cheaters will always cheat.

The rule is straightforward. Cook a WHOLE piece of meat. Once it's cooked do whatever you want with it within food safety guidelines.

TRIMMING does not equal PARTING.
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #40
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
A money muscle would not pass inspection based on this rule. The rule says "whole" pork butt. No one could consider a money muscle being a whole pork butt. That said, agree that keeping the 5lb rule would make it clearer.

I do like the general direction where cook it whole but its OK to place cooked portions back on the pit.
Here's the rule:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.

Now, the rule states it must be cooked "whole" but "after trimming." Now , with no weight limit, it could be argued that trimming the butt down to just the MM would be allowed. There is nothing stating how big the butt needs to be, or that the butt needs to be a whole butt. Heck, if I trim anything edible from a butt, or a brisket, or my spare ribs, am I not cooking a less-than-whole piece of meat? A competitor wanting to not play within the spirit of the rule but instead wanting to play semantics could just say he took the butt and trimmed off the part he didn't want to use, everything except the MM portion, and then cooked the remainder as a whole to 145, and then split the MM in half to get more bark.

So, now what is the definition of trimming? lol
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #41
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Got to watch that weight rule with the crap farmland has been putting out. Untrimmed 4lb 8.9oz garbage

Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #42
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy View Post
Basically everyone will interpret the rule as they wish... 90&#37; of the KCBS rules are not enforceable anyway... Cheaters will always cheat.

The rule is straightforward. Cook a WHOLE piece of meat. Once it's cooked do whatever you want with it within food safety guidelines.

True, trimming in my mind is cutting away the excess and parts I don't want to use. Parting is taking a piece I want to use, and separating it into smaller parts.

Now, If i want to just use the MM portion of the butt, wouldn't trimming and tossing the rest of the butt follow my above definition and also the wording of the rules? Keep in mind the rule says "after trimming, pork shall be cooked whole." and that MM is pork butt.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the spirit of the rule and I would go with that, but I am just pointing out how the wording of the rule opens up a can of worms.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Hey Skip.... I ain't in a 4-year battle over the rule. My team cooks pork following the current rules and will continue to do so. From reading stuff here and seeing how many butts many teams cook, we probably don't follow the procedure many to and I'm willing to bet we put similar portions in the box.

We've done fairly well in the pork category over the last 24-30 months, I don't see much changing in our camp....new rule or not.

Carry on, I'll continue to watch the show from the bleachers when I'm bored.
Hey Pigs. I understand you aren't but the original rule was called into question because people were separating after the cook as well as butterflying the whole butt down and doing what you described. That is the reason I made the statement about the 4 year battle. Not saying you started it.

Last edited by Skip; 07-11-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #44
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy View Post

Many times cheaters are found out soon enough. They act suspicious and the group around them is too competitive to not become suspicious.

That depends on the definition of trimming. If the trim involves removing distinguishable muscle groups in the shoulder, butt or picnic you aren't trimming anymore. You are manipulating the piece of meat. I think this is why the "cooked whole" portion of the definition was reintroduced.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

The only part I don't understand is where they define what I can turn in.

WTF

More complicated, not less.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote