• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

no smoke ring

AR Pork Producer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm new here, and have a question. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker (I know, I know). I get wonderfull moist, smokey, tender food. But there is no smoke ring, On all other charcoal and electric smokers I always get a ring. What gives?

AR Pork Producer

That's the number one comment from folks with box smokers. I have 2 Big Chief box smokers, but they don't work that great in the winter months....I've considered getting a Cookshack for salmon and such, just don't know if I have the room. :biggrin:

The lack of smoke ring has to do with the amount of natural nitrates in wood smoke being less than in charcoal. You can add a couple of briquettes to your wood pan, or doctor a brisket for example with Tenderquick. It has enough nitrates to give the ring a head start. Folks with ceramic cookers can add a couple of briquettes on top of the lump too because lump has fewer nitrates than the briquettes.

DSC08334a.jpg

If you try the TQ, sprinkle some on the meat side of the brisket for 10 minutes. Rinse it off and return the brisket to the fridge for 1 hour. Then season and cook as usual.​

Mr thirdeye nailed it,

but I would also never use (and never do) a mustard slather before applying the rub.

It provides an impenetrable barrier that will prevent entry.

My wife gave me that tip.

(ducking)

Thanks,
I have been using mustard. I'll try the next butt without it and see how it does. The masterbuilt that I have is digital and is insulated. It seems to do pretty good in the winter. I like the set it and forget it aspect of it. I have done boston butts that have taken up to 18 hours to cook at 200-220 degrees and have gotten a good night sleep.

Welcome fellow Arkie! When looking for a good smokering just follow whatever Thirdeye says! He is da master!

Thanks,
I have been using mustard. I'll try the next butt without it and see how it does. The masterbuilt that I have is digital and is insulated. It seems to do pretty good in the winter. I like the set it and forget it aspect of it. I have done boston butts that have taken up to 18 hours to cook at 200-220 degrees and have gotten a good night sleep.

The thermostat and insulation are a bonus. I have had prime rib roasts done in them, cooked at 225° that were outstanding.

You can see some of the obstacles I go through getting my Big Chief warm enough in the winter to do salmon or trout..... It is good for cold smoking cheese for Christmas presents. :biggrin:

img_0102aL.jpg

Thanks,

Until I find the time I am smoking on a propane version - I do find if I put some charcoal briquettes in the holder along with my wood chunks I get a better smoke ring and overall better tasting product ( at least I think I do )

Southern Pride told me that the reason we don't get much of a smoke ring is because with electric smokers you are not burning off all of the oxygen in the chamber. The oxygen prevents the nitrites from doing their thing.

Even with hickory logs in the firebox and tons of smoke in the cooking chamber, we still get a minimal ring.

I can't tell, does Thirdeye cook better than most of us, or, does he just have a nicer camera?
db

I can't tell, does Thirdeye cook better than most of us, or, does he just have a nicer camera?
db

He cooks better than most of us ever will...

I'm pretty sure he has forgotten more about smoking/grilling than I know :p

db

He cooks better than most of us ever will...

I'm pretty sure he has forgotten more about smoking/grilling than I know :p

Heheee. Thanks for the kind words, but both of you are wrong. I'm just not afraid to try stuff, and when I do, I take serious notes (and a few pictures) so I know what needs a little change. (Notes come in handy as you get older. :biggrin:) The best thing is, once you nail something, you can repeat it.

I also keep tabs on stuff that other folks are trying and incorporate many of those techniques into my cooking.

Appreciate you Thirdeye! I always look at your posts and go to your website. You share your knowledge, freely, as a true brother. Thanks so much !!!!!

Another way to get an impressive smoke ring is to leave the meat in the fridge until it goes in the smoker. Or even putting the cold meat in the smoker right after lighting it, not waiting for it to come up to temp. Not that I would know .....

I also have a Masterbuilt electric, and also have yet to see a smoke ring. In addition to:

1. putting the meat in cold,
2. putting a briquette or two in the wood tray,
3. maybe starting at a lower temperature (like 200?)

would it make any difference if the wood chips were soaked vs. dry, in terms of smoke flavor and the elusive smoke ring?

I have to disagree with the mustard statement. Mustard is my slather on all my pork cooks and I always have a good smoke ring. Can't speak for the mustard/electic smoker combo though. I can say for fact that mustard will not prevent a smoke ring in a charcoal smoker.

Love the comments above. Thirdeye, I love your willingness to try and then document, so you know what works! Thank you.

Meathead at AmazingRibs has a great article on smoke and the smoke ring, http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html. The type of fire/fuel and burning it right (clean fire) matter so much on the smoke ring. Electric smokers with wood chunks have nearly none of the nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO) that make the smoke ring.

Enjoy the taste and tenderness from your smoker - you will be getting more sleep than me when I cook on that stick burner!

When I first got my Cookshack electric, I was bummed out that I couldn't get a smoke ring. Started looking into why and ways that I might be able to get one. Then I found out it doesn't make any difference when it comes to flavor. After that I never bothered trying to get one, but continued to enjoy the fabulous que.

My FEC produces a nice smoke ring, but now I could care less if I get one or not.

Smoke rings make meat prettier, period. I am not a BBQ competitor but I have watched several and see that judges look for it and judge accordingly. Some of us think our cooks are failures if we don't have that pretty red/pink ring around our food. I was that way for a long time but not anymore. To me taste and texture is everything.

Back