Purchased a 55 gallon steel drum with the lid on

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I just purchased it today with the lid on it and it used to contain salad oil. The person said the lid should just twist off but I haven't been able to figure out how and am thinking now I should have bought it without the lid instead. I want to make my own uds and have been looking at the different versions on line.

1. Do you have any suggestions how to remove the lid since "it can be twisted off"?

2. Will this have to be burned out or not?

Thanks,

-Porky Joes

Post a pic of the drum so we know what your dealing with. As far as looking at different versions I would recommend getting on of my custom grates to dress it up a bit. 10% off for brethren.

3m03o23pc5O25Q55U5b9hc379f9689f4a1d66.jpg
but mine doesn't have the white latch you see against the body and lid there.

There is a rubber gasket between the lid and the drum and I am guessing that yours is just stuck together thus he told you to twist it so it would break loose. It should be able to be lifted up if has the locking ring removed as you say.

So it is a defnite that I will need to cut the lid off of this in order to start working on it. The person I bought it from thought I meant the two small lids on top of the actual lid itself.

You probably got a drum with closed ends. If the top looks like this just take a chisel and a hammer and cut it open. It only takes about 5 minutes.

P1060055.jpg

Yup bought one just like this had a friend cut the top off. And with the oil inside didn't need a burn out or season been using mine for almost 2 yrs and not a spec of rust inside

Just remove the lid retaining ring and the lid should come off

I think someone said you could grind the top of the lid lip off, kinda like when you turn a coke can upside down and grind it on the concrete in a circular motion and put your finger in the mouth opening and pull it out. Someone said just to grind that top lip and it will separate from the barrel and fall in hope that helps :redface:

You probably got a drum with closed ends. If the top looks like this just take a chisel and a hammer and cut it open. It only takes about 5 minutes.

P1060055.jpg
Play it safe and buy a cold chisel. Wood chisels are not made for metal.

That's the CL Aurora listing, isn't it? Keep wanting to head out there for a couple drums - keep us up to date, I want to know about the drum before I get 'em. Maybe I'll get one of the lidless ones. Good Luck!

I have built three UDS’s now that had closed top on them. I used a grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut the top off much like what Carbon did above with a hammer and chisel. Do you have a lid to use after you cut the top off?

You can also use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade to cut the lid off. It makes short work of it.

Back