MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Whether you travel to a contest or not, the Comfort Inn discount should help you recover that investment.
I get the same with AARP, AAA and other programs. And there are a lot of hotels with better rates especially ifyou do advance bookings.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

If folks won't join for the sake of being envolved and supporting your organization and if you decide they need a greater material motivator than try to add more motivators.

OK so far I get:

Satisfaction of supporting my organization
I'm eligable for COTY
I'll get the Bull Sheet
Organization voting rights
I can run for office
Restaurant Depot membership
Comfort Inn discount

So if that's not enough...... Maybe some more travel or BBQ related companies would add a small token to the effort.

Maybe KCBS can work a deal with Sams and Costco for discounted membership rates.

Maybe AAA would be willing to make a membership deal of some type for those that travel.

Maybe Discount Tire or NBT would offer members a one time discount coupon for an emergency tire repair.

Maybe Garmin GPS systems would offer a discout coupon on a new GPS system for members.

Maybe other motel chains can offer discounts.

How about sending new members one of those big coupon books for food and entertainment.

A Kingford Charcoal coupon.

Carvan canopys discount or upgrade

A KCBS bumper sticker.....
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #18
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I would sign up for that...........................travel for KCBS yes
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

A sticker would seal the deal!
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
A sticker would seal the deal!
A free reach around?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Try thinking as one of those cooks that is not a member? What's the incentive for you to join? Many of these folks cook once a year at a local contest and they don't care about reading the bullsheet and there's no RD close, etc.

I like pushing it helps promoteBBQ and competition and that stuff but what's in it for them? I don't have the answer.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Whether you travel to a contest or not, the Comfort Inn discount should help you recover that investment.
Huh? I am a KCBS member but what is this comfort inn discount you speak of. I know nothing of this.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotleyQue View Post
Huh? I am a KCBS member but what is this comfort inn discount you speak of. I know nothing of this.
Log on to the KCBS site. There is a discount code available that is good for about $15 per night. Or shoot the office some email with your membership info and ask for the code.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Try thinking as one of those cooks that is not a member? What's the incentive for you to join? Many of these folks cook once a year at a local contest and they don't care about reading the bullsheet and there's no RD close, etc.

I like pushing it helps promoteBBQ and competition and that stuff but what's in it for them? I don't have the answer.
Thats why I was saying that you need to charge a premium to non member teams. I really didn't care about the KCBS when I started. It was just something that was there and I question whether I would even be a member now if it weren't for the need to join to be a certified judge. I really don't think I would've no matter how much I appreciated BBQ or liked how KCBS promoted or ran contests. That stuff really would've been a non issue and i would have contined to participate in KCBS events and reaped the benefits FOR THE SAME COST as member teams.
Now once I joined the KCBS I became curious as to what it was all about. Heck if I am paying for a membership I might as well become familiar with it. So I did. Now I am very much involved in what goes on. I am going to the banquet as well and there I will attend the rules committee meeting and possibly others. I appreciate my membership and what it does for me. I also appreciate that my money goes to this organization and what my money helps it do.
KCBS doesn't save starving people in Africa so you aren't going to get people to just fork over money for the principle. KCBS membership doesn't afford you discounts at sanctioned events so you won't get thrifty competitors to jump on board. KCBS offers some perks but many of them aren't all encompassing for the membership nor do some of them even apply to membership in areas without the business i.e. Restaurant Depot. Any kind of perk related to membership would help if it applies to everyone. If KCBS provided meats the members could chose first or if meat was supplied then the KCBS members would get reduced rates. Money makes it all happen.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Hear is a question that I am not sure has been asked, But Why does it have to be the Kansas City BBQ Society. If growing the membership is important to you, couldnt you convert to a larger body of potential prospects like an American BBQ society or National BBQ Society. Different results are fed by different ways of thinking.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Skip - as most people cooking contests are not members and as contests are put on by independent organizers and not the KCBS charging an additional fee for non members isn't practical. It was tried and most organizers said no. Some threatend to drop KCBS sanctioning. Lots of teams said what's this? Is this contests put on by KCBS? Well no. Then if it's for a local charity I'll pay but not for KCBS.

We need to find another answer. Otherwise the answer is there is no benefit to them so they won't join.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #27
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Hear is a question that I am not sure has been asked, But Why does it have to be the Kansas City BBQ Society. If growing the membership is important to you, couldnt you convert to a larger body of potential prospects like an American BBQ society or National BBQ Society. Different results are fed by different ways of thinking.
KCBS branding is recognized nationally as the premier bbq organization in this country. It's made great strides in this area in the past few years. A large portion of membership is outside the KC area. Don't have stats but remember them being posted this year sometime.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #28
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

How about a good *smack* from Diva herself. THAT might do it.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
KCBS branding is recognized nationally as the premier bbq organization in this country. It's made great strides in this area in the past few years. A large portion of membership is outside the KC area. Don't have stats but remember them being posted this year sometime.
Ford, respectfully, I'm not certain about "recognized nationally as the
premier bbq organization". Around here, most new cookoff organizers
have never heard of KCBS, but they have heard of Memphis in May / MBN.
Not saying MBN is better. I personally like KCBS better, but that's my
personal take. F Y I. Perhaps we're just mutants in Georgia. Certainly
we know Myron IS (a mutant).
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #30
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
How about a good *smack* from Diva herself. THAT might do it.
That's what I asked for from Santa. VQ says it comes with sprinkles!

cupcake

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote