Pork preference

Grumpy's Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Ok guy’s I’m looking to smoke some pork for pulled pork this weekend. This will be a new venture for me. I have always smoked brisket and ribs, fatties and such. I need some brethernly advice on what type of meat to purchase for this weekends offering. I have read some like the Boston But roasts; some use a shoulder roast, pork loin…..? What about bone in verses boneless? What will give me the best chance at having a good result?

Boneless Butt works fine. So does bone-in. Some say that the meat is sweeter from a bone-in butt, but I haven't tasted a difference.

bone-in Boston butt for me. ..its a very forgiving piece of meat and hard to screw up unless you take it off too early. Throw it on and let it cook to 195-200 ..allow plenty of time though ..they do take awhile to reach that temp. Most will hit around 160 or so and stall for a couple hrs or so before climbing again. If you are patient though you will have your self some good pulled pork

as far as bone in or bone out dont know if there is much of a taste difference bit i think the bone helps cook the meat internally but who knows that could just be a bunch of hooey..try one of each and see

I would go with the butt, bone in. You can also go with a shoulder, or picnic, the bone in tends to allow you a higher moisture content, meat does not dry out as easily. If pork loin is on sale, you can go that route also, needs a higher temp though to get to pulling.

You should get a lot of responses from others with more experience than me, but my choice for pulled pork is the Boston Butt bone in at around 7 pounds. This is the shoulder minus the shank or picnic. Pork loin is fine but too lean for pulled pork.

Pork butt is almost fool proof. I cook it low and slow (225* pit temp) taking the meat temp up to 165* then spray the chit out of it with apple, cherry or pineapple juice, foil it and finish to 190*. Wrap in a couple of thick bath towels and put in a cooler for a couple of hours. It will be plenty moist and fall apart tender.

I like a sweet and not too savory rub, but that's a personal preference.

I'm with the Spice Man,
Bone in Boston Butt!!!!
Hey Spice Man!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
Ed

I have done both Boston Butt bone in as well as boneless shoulder, and both have turned out fine. About 7lbs seems to be the prime size.

Have Fun!

Grumpy's Q said:
The Boston bone in sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the input!

I don't do it often but prefer bone in. My most consistent source is Sam's off of 114 for size, availability, and price.

Jorge said:
I don't do it often but prefer bone in. My most consistent source is Sam's off of 114 for size, availability, and price.

Do they sell single or do you have to buy two or three? I got a sam's membership. :mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Good thing this is in Q talk...

Sam's sells in 2 packs.
And with a freezer the case is normally 10 cents a pound cheaper.:-D

Grumpy’s Q,

You have gotten some excellent advice. If you can handle a brisket, a butt will be no problem at all. As a result of the pork sale from yesterday, I’m doing a pork cook today for work tomorrow. I’m doing 8 pounds of country ribs (bone-in) and (2) 4 lb. butts (bone-in), this is my game plan:

I’m using lump charcoal with a mixture of cherry and guava wood and will be cooking indirect. My cooker only has an 18” grate, so I’ll have a double grate set-up to handle everything, country ribs will be above the butts.

Butts were injected with Stogie’s Injection Juice (recipe on my site), rubbed 50/50 with a sugar based rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning then brushed with a thin coating of mustard which was thinned with some of the injection. They just went on the cooker & I’ll run it at about 230° at the grate. I will allow 10 hours for the butts.

The country ribs had the same rub and mustard treatment and will go on in an hour or two. They should take about 4 or 5 hours.

This afternoon the ribs will be sauced and glazed and put into the beer fridge. Tonight I’ll wrap the butts in foil and rest for an hour or so, then pull ‘em using some reserved injection juice for liquid (this will help with the reheat tomorrow), bagged and also into the fridge. Sides will be tater salad and white (Texas toast) bread. I’m making two sauces: A jazzed red sauce using a store-bought sauce for the base and a home made Eastern Carolina sauce. Both will be served on the side.

Grumpy's Q said:
Do they sell single or do you have to buy two or three? I got a sam's membership. :mrgreen:

What Jeff said. They might be willing to sell a single though. I've had them bring me some steaks out of the back before when they didn't have anything packaged that was close to my needs.

Back