Need suggestions - Mexican themed baby shower...

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, this isn't a BBQ question but a grilling question. Even though, given the creativity of the people on here, I'm sure this group has some great ideas.

I have been asked to do shrimp for a Mexican themed baby shower. Don't ask me what is up with the theme, I still don't get why my wife is dragging me along, only perk is I get to cook:roll:. So, to try and make this as fun as possible I thought I would ask the brothers if there was a fun recipe that anyone has for Mexican or Tex Mex grilled shrimp??

The 2 suggestions that come to mind is a shrimp ceviche, which usually doesn't require cooking the shrimp and the other is a shrimp kabobs with a cilantro, lime and red onion salsa, on the side.

Here is two more suggestions, grilled shrimp fajitas or grilled shrimp quesadillas, with pico de gallo and cotijo cheese.

We do a shrimp club sandwich that is a hit - Grilled shrimp, pepper bacon (thick), pepper jack or cotija cheese, romaine lettuce and a mild red pepper mayonaise on a toasted bolillo roll, or you can use a cibatta.

How about salad?

#1. Grilled Shrimp Salad with Dijon Dressing
Butter lettuce (or even cubed iceberg) tossed with a creamy lime-mayo buttermilk dressing. Top with grilled shrimp, diced roasted red peppers and cilantro. A nice twist is adding wasabi to the dressing (but that's not Mexican).

#2. Grilled Shrimp Fruit Salad
Grill shrimp. Cool. Toss with melon balls (or cubes) using a mayo-sour cream (or yogurt) dressing. Serve in lettuce cups or over fresh salad greens.

Shrimp Cocktail is popular in a traditional menu, served with large size shrimp in a tall cocktail glass, Sabrosa!

Tequila Lime Chicken!
Do one of these as a "center piece" on a big platter and then cut up pieces around.
b-cup.gif

Ok, this isn't a BBQ question but a grilling question. Even though, given the creativity of the people on here, I'm sure this group has some great ideas.

I have been asked to do shrimp for a Mexican themed baby shower. Don't ask me what is up with the theme, I still don't get why my wife is dragging me along, only perk is I get to cook:roll:. So, to try and make this as fun as possible I thought I would ask the brothers if there was a fun recipe that anyone has for Mexican or Tex Mex grilled shrimp??

DSC02326a.jpg

Here is one I like. The marinade time is short and the cook time is maybe 6 minutes if you use the skillet and 15 minutes if you go with the grate method. Either way, if you like garlic, these are the ticket.

The recipe is below, I have a flat bottom wok shaped pan that fits in my Egg and I have modified the technique by cooking the shrimp on a grate (instead of a skillet) and then just tossing them in a skillet that had melted garlic butter in it. Still did a blast of lime juice right before plating. These need to be cooked and served in the shell, mainly for heat control so they don't over cook and secondly for portion control :biggrin: because folks tend to eat them like popcorn when they don't have to peel them.....

DSC02327a.jpg

Camarones al Mojo de Ajo
Shrimp marinated in Garlic

1 lb. large prawns
15 cloves of garlic (at least)
¾ t salt
¾ t fresh ground pepper
¾ t white vinegar
3-6 T olive oil
3-5 T butter
3-5 T fresh lime juice

From the underside, using scissors, cut the underbelly only. You can leave the heads and legs on.

Prepare 7 or 8 cloves of garlic by: Finely chopping or puree in blender or use garlic press. The prepared garlic in the jar works great also.

Marinate prawns in garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper for about one hour in a plastic baggie, turning at least three times.

Add about half of the butter and the olive oil into a heavy cast iron skillet which has been preheated on the cooker..... Add the prawns (and the marinade) and sauté allowing the shells turn a nice orange color. About 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Don’t overcook the shrimp! Add 7 or 8 cloves (or more) of chopped garlic and the rest of the butter and remove from the cooker. Toss for about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic!) Add the lime juice and toss for 1 more minute.

Dump everything into a platter and serve.

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Ancho Chile Salsa ala Chris Schlesinger's Thrill of the Grill . (Page Fifty Eight)

People can assemble their own tacos to their taste from the piles of grilled shrimp, chopped onions, thinly sliced cabbage, pineapple ancho chile salsa, sour cream and chopped jalapeno peppers.

Exotic looking and tasting, but quick to prepare.

Wow, there are some great ideas on here guys. I really appreciate it. Now I'm actually excited about this, at least the cooking part.

Margaritas! For the guys that get drug into this. er, I mean, happily participate.:rolleyes:

Back