• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to burn logs in WSM like Santa Maria Grill

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is quite possibly the easiest grill hack ever. Inspiration hit me one day when I was adding fuel to my WSM and realized I had access to the bottom grate through the door but it's so obvious, I doubt I'm the first one to do it. (if anybody else has been doing this, let me know and I'll credit you in the description).

Still, after playing around with it for a few months, it's pretty much nailed everything I've tried to cook like this. I've never done big meats though...not sure how that would work. But for anything you'd roast or grill, it's been great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThxGj6u_vw&t=

Last edited:
Dude on another forum has been doing this for years.

Says it's really hard on the WSM: bottom vents don't work after a while & the grill grates deteriorate rapidly.

EZ enough to fix, but it is a consideration.

Thanks for another Great Vid BBM! And I'm still hanging ribs in the WSM thanks to your other vid about it.

Says it's really hard on the WSM: bottom vents don't work after a while & the grill grates deteriorate rapidly.

I haven't noticed either problem but I haven't built the fires any bigger than what was in the video though. I'll keep a look out. Thanks for the info.

BBM is not talking about a total conversion but rather a diversion. I too throw a spit of pecan in while smoking a brisket. Even though it's going to be wrapped at the stall as BBM states, it's sure a nice smell. I've done full wood too and it's actually no different that coal. Vents and such, no prob. It's a Weber.

nice vid BBM, that is pretty much the way I run my drum now days. I still need to cut in a door.

I haven't noticed either problem but I haven't built the fires any bigger than what was in the video though. I'll keep a look out. Thanks for the info.

He builds quite a fire (at least 3 splits) & cooks on the top grate. Could make a difference.

nice vid BBM, that is pretty much the way I run my drum now days. I still need to cut in a door.

Yep. having a door in your drum would be easier than pulling the grate out to add a log. I guess on short cooks you probably don't need to worry about it though?

He builds quite a fire (at least 3 splits) & cooks on the top grate. Could make a difference.

Yep. Does he use a charcoal ring? I feel like that protects it some because it keeps the coals off the walls. The only thing I've noticed is occasionally some of the seasoning burns off.

I've burned a fair amount of oak and cherry wood in my two daisy wheel kettles, and I'm still using the original charcoal grates, and the only problem I have with the vents is from grease build up getting stiff in the winter. Here is the oldest one.
picture.php

Maybe the post 1997 coal grates are less substantial?

I've all but ditched the pan from my WSM already - only using it for large butts and the like. I'll definitely be trying this soon.

I've warped 2 Weber brand grates burning pure wood in my UDS's. But, not by using at normal smoking temps. But when running 600-750*. So WSM owners should be good.

I've warped 2 Weber brand grates burning pure wood in my UDS's. But, not by using at normal smoking temps. But when running 600-750*. So WSM owners should be good.

I haven't had that issue but I don't build huge fires in their either. Also my grate is doubled up to keep charcoal from falling through so that probably helps support it.

I haven't had that issue but I don't build huge fires in their either. Also my grate is doubled up to keep charcoal from falling through so that probably helps support it.
I use a double grate also. It is just the high temps causing the grates to warp/rust more than normal.

Back