MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Big Daddy's Q'n Crew
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Holding Ribs help

I’ve been asked to cook a party for a co-worker. I am not a caterer and this is simply a favor for a friend. The amount of people is 150. The menu is ribs, tri tip and 3 sides. I cook on a Lang 84.

My question is, although I have cooked for large groups before, I’ve had access to additional cookers. This time I only have the Lang 84. I’m not sure I can fit all the ribs and tri tip into the Lang 84, to cook all at the same time.

Can someone who has experience in catering or cooking large quantities, please advise me if it’s possible and desirable, to hold ribs and/or the tri tip until the other gets done and if so, what’s the best method to do so. Someone suggested putting the ribs into a cooler, however I’ve never done this before and Im not sure if this degrades the ribs flavor or texture.

I’d prefer to hold the ribs, since the tri tip is a quick cook.
Thank you for your time, guidance and expertise.
Big Daddy's Q'n Crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Brownac1983
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy's Q'n Crew View Post
I’ve been asked to cook a party for a co-worker. I am not a caterer and this is simply a favor for a friend. The amount of people is 150. The menu is ribs, tri tip and 3 sides. I cook on a Lang 84.

My question is, although I have cooked for large groups before, I’ve had access to additional cookers. This time I only have the Lang 84. I’m not sure I can fit all the ribs and tri tip into the Lang 84, to cook all at the same time.

Can someone who has experience in catering or cooking large quantities, please advise me if it’s possible and desirable, to hold ribs and/or the tri tip until the other gets done and if so, what’s the best method to do so. Someone suggested putting the ribs into a cooler, however I’ve never done this before and Im not sure if this degrades the ribs flavor or texture.

I’d prefer to hold the ribs, since the tri tip is a quick cook.
Thank you for your time, guidance and expertise.
Well, I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer this, but since nobody else has chimed in I'll give it a shot.

A Cambro or cooler will hold them well for several hours. I wrap mine in foil and use a towel to take up any extra air space in the cooler. The flavor of the meat will still be good, maybe even better, but it softens the bark.

The best way I've found to do it is to cook them 3-2-1 style (I know... the purists can go ahead and flame me for that) and just do the 3-2 up front. When you're almost ready to serve, put them back on the grill for the final hour to develop a good bark and firm up the texture. You can usually cut 2 step a little short if you do this since they'll continue to cook and tenderize in the cooler.

While you put the ribs back on the pit, let the tri-tips do their rest time in the cooler.

Like I say, there's probably better ways to do it and maybe someone with more experience can chime in, but I've done something very similar in the past with no complaints.
Brownac1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What are you cooking - 25 racks of ribs? And 50 lbs tri-tip?
I'd prefer to hold ribs for a bit rather than the TT.
Also it's a party, so things can come off in stages, not all at once like
a wedding needs to be. Hopefully you have help!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Chrome Dome
On the road to being a farker

I have done spareribs a number of times on my Lang 84". I hold them in a Cambro when done, and usually just put them on at 225-250 and let them go about 5 hours, check them and glaze them, put them back on for 30 mins or so and then pull them off into deep, full aluminum pans. Cover and put into the Cambro (cooler will work). I have 4 rib racks (heavy duty but I haven't been able to find where I bought them from) that hold 9 racks each. It is a huge space saver.

On the bright side, if they taste good, people usually don't care that they are falling off the bone versus a 'good bite'.

Lang 84" Deluxe with Chargrill; Custom Lang 36" Deluxe; BGE

[url]www.fireduptohelp.org[/url]
Chrome Dome is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
catering, holding, ribs